Take Your Posts

2/2 :P

K. xx :) <3

***

Viola entered the Oak and Shield, and saw that the pub was already full. She should have reserved a table for herself and Yola, she thought, and then she heard a voice call her from the furthest corner of the pub.

"Viola!" Clementine Popplewell was standing in one of the booths, waving her arm frantically. "Viola!"

John and Mable were sitting at the same table, and Viola headed towards them. John got up when she approached them. They all exchanged greetings.

"We saved you a spot!" Clem announced proudly, and pointed at one of two empty chairs in the booth.

"I was supposed to have dinner with Yola," Viola said. "I haven't realised the karaoke night would be so popular, so we haven't gotten a table, though."

"You should stay," Mable said. "Your friend Yolanda is most welcome to join us, and Rhys can stand."

Viola threw a look at the empty chair and laughed. Somehow she'd missed that the two seats had been prepared for her and Rhys. She might not know whether Rhys would be the winner in this derby, using Fenton's metaphor - but the Holyoakes clearly had made their bets. She sat down and texted Yolanda telling her there was a seat waiting for her. John went to the bar to make orders. This time, Viola decisively asked for red wine with her meal. Yola joined them half an hour later, which obviously was almost on time according to her internal clock. They ate dinner, chatted about Clem's writing, and reminisced about the uni days.

The karaoke was starting - Mrs. Owens sat down at a small table near the stage with the song tickets one could purchase to go on stage - when Nana exclaimed, "What a surprise! Is that Dr. Fenton? I can't believe my eyes."

Viola looked at the entrance to the pub, and saw Fenton walk in, in stylish black trousers and a suit jacket over a black tee.

"Oh wow!" Yola exclaimed. "Is that your Doctor Totty, Vivi? That's wicked! He looks like young Anthony Hopkins!"

"Why 'Doctor Totty'?" Clem asked with curiosity. "I mean, I know he's a totty, but why is he Viola's Doctor Totty? Have we missed something?"

Fenton noticed them and gave Viola a small wave.

"I think we might have," Mable drew out. "Didn't he allow you to call him Alan on day one?"

"Alan?!" John asked, dramatically raising his eyebrows. "Fenton's first name is doctor."

"Oh that's exciting!" Clem said and clapped her hands.

"Oh Rhys is going to love it," John drew out, and the three women glared at him.

"What does Rhys have to do with Viola and... Alan?" Clem said in a strict tone. "I don't see a Holyoake ring on her finger."

"I don't have one," Viola said with a chuckle and wiggled her fingers in the air. "I gave it back to Rhys after the divorce."

"Oh I thought you still had it," Nana exclaimed, and gave Viola a tense look the latter didn't understand.

"No, I returned both your engagement ring and my Holyoake band," Viola said and gave Mable a soft smile. "I'm surprised he didn't give them back to you."

They were interrupted by Mrs. Owens announcing that the tickets could now be purchased. A few people rose from their spots and approached her table. While John was explaining to Yolanda that the proceedings from the karaoke night were donated to the Fleckney Preservation Society after the expenses for the equipment were covered, the door opened and Rhys came - with Sam walking behind him. Yola immediately seemed to have lost her ability to retain any information. The brothers approached the booth, and Viola met Rhys' eyes. The left corner of his lips curled up, and she gave him a small smile. Another round of greetings followed, Yolanda noticeably quieter that Yolanda had ever been in her life. At some point Sam threw her a confused look - it was hard to miss how much she avoided looking at him - but he seemed so drained, both physically and emotionally, that, as Viola assumed, he hardly had energy for anything beyond the most simple actions.