9 - Life of the Fallen

Start from the beginning

"No, I should have you benched for disobeying orders. If I give you a mission I expect you to complete it. I don't care about if you have other commitments, you should do as you're told." She spits. I take a deep breath and keep my eyes on her. I can't tell her that I was helping the others get the Cup because knowing her she'll tell the clave. I might not like Clary, but she is responsible for it.

"Don't bench me. I'll go now and you'll have a complete report on your desk within the hour. I promise." I say. She stares at me for a second longer.

"It had better be there." She says before walking away. I stay standing in place for a moment. Clary has been nothing but a pain in my ass since she got here. I can't wait for her to find her mother and fuck off.

"Mae, let me come with you." Izzy says as she walks over to me. I shake my head without looking at her.

"No. I'm not going to drag you into my mess." I say as I go to walk away. She grabs my hand and turns me around to face her.

"You're my parabatai. Your mess is my mess. Let me help." She tries. I take my hand out of her grip.

"Iz, I made my choice to go after the Cup instead of following orders. Let me deal with the consequences." I say before walking away and heading out of the Institute.

————

I walk through the streets of New York breathing heavily after dealing with the Vampire issue. Now all I need to do is get back to the Institute and fill out the stupid forms to get Maryse off my back.

The night breeze hits my skin as I walk quickly down the street, and I feel myself stop when I look across the road. Simon walks down an alleyway looking even more skittish than usual. Where is he going? I hesitate for a moment wondering whether I should check in on him or complete my mission, but with a huff I start running after him.

"Simon!" I call. He doesn't hear and continues walking. I follow him and I feel my eyes widen when I see him walking towards the Hotel DuMort. What the hell is he doing? I run faster and place a hand on his shoulder. He jumps and turns around to face me and I see the panic in his eyes.

"M-Mae-" He stammers.

"Simon, what are you doing? You shouldn't be here." I say taking in his shaking physique.

"I-I know, I just can't help it." He mutters. I lick my lips and inhale sharply.

"She gave you her blood, didn't she?" I say. That's why he could see the runes at Clary's loft, Camille is trying to turn him.

"I don't know, b-but I think she did something. I don't know what's happening to me." He says. His voice shakes as fear starts to take over and I give him a small smile to comfort him.

"Simon, it's okay. Her blood will be out of your system soon, you just have to stay away from her until then." I explain, placing a hand on his shoulder. He looks up at me and a flicker of hope fills his eyes.

"So, I'm going to be okay?" He asks. I nod and start to guide him away from the hotel.

"Yeah, I'll make sure of it." I say. Simon might be a mundie and might be annoyingly talkative, but I'd hate myself if I let him become one of those blood suckers. We start walking away but I stop when I hear fast movements behind us. I instantly turn to come face to face with Camille who stands smirking at me. I push Simon behind me and raise my arm up to point my seraph blade at her. She chuckles and crosses her arms over her chest.

"Hello again, Lys. Looks like you have something of mine." She says and I narrow my eyes on her.

"Careful, Camille. One wrong step can land you a cell in Idris." I reply causing her smirk to widen.