t-7 Days; Part 2

The group was promptly ushered off the stage. Hermione fell numbly in step between Ron and Luna.

"That was so brave." Luna whispered in her ear, but Hermione brushed her away.

"You'll have time to say good-bye to friends now," Umbridge said, "Each of you in a room, a couple minuets then off to the trains to go back to London! Your things are being collected from your rooms as we speak." She pushed Hermione into the first open room. The door was shut behind her. It was the old divination room- she bit back a cry as she remembered storming out when she was thirteen. Back before Voldemort had rose. When everything was...normal. The room looked the same as she recalled. It hadn't been touched in years though, so there was a fine film of dust over all the soft cushions. She sat on the least dusty, and a puff of smoke rose when she sat.

She watched the door. Who would come to say good-bye?

Ginny burst through first, and half-strangled Hermione with a hug.

"How dare you, how dare you?" Ginny asked into her hair.

"Gin..." Hermione sighed. Ginny pulled back.

"Hermione, this is suicide." She said hollowly.

"I had to." Hermione became defensive, "Would you have sent a child who turned 11 only a couple months ago to die?" She asked harshly.

"No. But she had sisters." Ginny's eyes flared.

"You didn't look at them, did you? They weren't going to say anything. I knew it, I knew it. I had to say something. If you had seen their faces, you'd understand."

Ginny looked unsure. "Hermione, the games aren't the only place we have to survive in. We have to survive the pickings too, I only have a year left. Things have changed since we were young. It's a tragedy for a 11-year old to die, sure. But is this worth it? Is your life worth hers?" She asked.

"Ginny, don't say that. I wouldn't be able to watch her be killed." Hermione reasoned, "I'm smart...I can...I can survive this."

"You're not a killer though." Ginny took her hands gently, "These hands are for gripping book spines, not necks."

"None of us are killers." Hermione argued, "Not even the Slytherins."

"I'd beg to differ. Pansy's nasty- she'd sooner kill someone than let them even be a tiny bit above her. Guess she has to now, has to protect her integrity now that we know she's a half-blood and all."

"She won't go down easily." Hermione sighed in agreement. Ginny stared hard at Hermione.

"You've just accepted this, haven't you?" She murmured.

"What else can I do?" The question hung in the air.

"Fight." Ginny's voice rumbled, "Fight for me, and Harry. Goddamn, don't be one of their puppets. Don't let me loose everyone in these sick games. Not you, not Ron, not Luna..." her voice hitched, "You're all leaving me." She sounded child-like, a first year again, "And I'll be forced to watch you kill each other."

"If I win, then you'll have me again. Ron could win, or Luna. Both are good fighters. Then you wouldn't be loosing them."

"No, I'm loosing all of you now. This is the last time I see my Hermione Granger. If you win, you'll be the game's. They will change you. You won't be yourself, you'll be whatever depraved state is left. I know—I see Fred every Friday, but it's not Fred, not my Fred, anymore."

The door opened as Hermione fished for words.

"Time's up." The guard said, and stepped forward to grab Ginny. She gave Hermione one last hug, so tight it hurt. Those were the best hugs from Ginny, though. It meant she cared.