"Your mother and I were just talking about you."

"Oh, you were?" I said, the expression on my face remaining neutral.

Peering over their shoulders, I spotted the rest of my family in the backyard. My father and uncle reclined in some lawn chairs as my little brother and cousins played nearby. A wave of relief swept over me. This wasn't the kind of discussion where I wanted the whole family within earshot. They already talked about it enough. I didn't need more fuel added to the fire.

"Yes, I've been thinking about something. What is it you don't like about Thomas?"

"What?"

"I'm simply curious, dear. He's a nice, handsome young man with enough money to support the life you know you want to live."

"I can't believe this," I said, placing my hands on the armrests to stand.

"Now just hear me out. I don't want to put any pressure on you."

"But that's exactly what you have been doing. You all have."

"Kathy, you're a young woman but you won't be for long. Sure, yes, times are changing and girls are working more and staying single longer. But that just won't do in this family. We only want what's best for you and want you to be with someone good and stable."

"I think I can decide that for myself."

"Can you? You haven't been doing a very good job of it so far."

"Aunt Judy, none of the boys I know, including Thomas, appeal to me. Can't you respect that?"

"Honey, no boy can match a girl's expectation. We've all been through it. Sooner or later, you're going to have to settle."

"Well, I don't want to settle," I said, standing up. "I want the right one and I will decide who or when that will be. In the meantime, I can take care of myself. I'm not going to enter into an unhappy marriage just because it's good for me financially. Now if you'll please, just stay out of my business."

My aunt gasped, her mouth hanging open. I glanced at my mother who replicated her sister-in-law's expression. But this time, I didn't care as I stormed off to my room and left them in silence.

I plopped on my bed and stared out the window. Red and orange colors painted the sky, morphing together in a blur from the hot tears surfacing to my eyes. How dare she meddle in something that was my decision! Of course, it was nothing new. She had done it to her siblings, and it only made sense she would do it to her siblings' children, too. It didn't help to cool my frustration, though. Why couldn't they just leave me alone?

It was long after the light had faded into cool blue tones when I decided to emerge from my room. The smell of food permeated the air, signaling that dinner was ready. My family gathered around the table, carrying on as usual even though I was certain they had heard about my outburst. My uncle gave me a discreet pat on the arm and a sad smile, nearly bringing tears to my eyes again. Quickly, he diverted attention away from me and stroke up a conversation with my father about business. Suddenly, it felt like a normal family dinner, aside from my aunt avoiding my gaze for the rest of the evening.

----------

Despite the drama and tension between my aunt and I, the family decided to picnic at the beach the following day. I was simply happy to be out of the house, as it gave me an excuse to ignore my anxieties and enjoy the surroundings. My aunt, likewise, seemed distracted, as she soaked in the sun under her large hat and repeatedly stated how beautiful the day was. I couldn't help but agree.

My mother laid out a large blanket across the sand, providing enough room for the whole family and our basket of sandwiches. My little brother and cousins ran along the damp shore, splashing through the shallow waves, while our parents took the opportunity to recline in the peaceful shade of the palm trees.