chapter 5

• Dedicated to Kristin Schnurr

So, where was I? Oh, yeah. I walked out of the studio and listened to his footsteps behind me. "And where do you think you're going?" he asked when he grabbed my arm.

"Keep following me and you'll find out won't you?" I replied in a very smrt allic tone. He reluctantly followed me. How was I supposed to do this? I'd never met a demon, or Satan before. I just kept skipping along the streets, letting my red curled ponytail bounce up and down, up and down. I could go forever, but I finally turned into an abandoned alley. "Nathan, do you trust me?" I asked, finally breaking the silence.

"Yes."

"Then, close your eyes, and don't open them until I say so," I whispered taking his hand, "and don't let go."

"Why?"

"You said you trusted-"

"Alright, alright." He shut his eyes.

Here we go, I thought. I pulled my jacket off and then took his hand again. My white wings fanned out and I slowly flew into the air. "Don't let go," I reminded him as I tightened my grip. I kept going until we were in the middle of the clouds. "Okay, open your eyes on three. 1...2..." Could I do this?

"And?"

I had to.

"3."

I watched him open his eyes and take in the fact that he was soaring through the clouds. And then he looked at me, at my wings. "Melanie?" I nodded slowly, cautiosly. "You're...what...I mean..."

"Hush. We're going on a trip." I kept flying. Actually I didn't know where I was going. I stopped on a cloud, and sat down. I let go of his hand.

"Ok, so you're...a fairy? a pixie? an angel?"

"An angel," I said. I let my feet hang over the edge. I wasn't sure how he was going to react. I couldn't tell if he was fully taken over or not. "Tell me something," I said. I looked into his eyes, "Do you know what's happened to you?"

"I'm on a cloud with an angel?"

"Guess not then..." I sighed. He sat by me. This really sucked.

"Tell me what you mean then, and then, and then maybe I can tell you what you want me to."

"But, I don;t want you to tell me!" He wasn;t completely possesed yet. So there was hope. I cleared my throat. "Nathan, earlier you said you didn't believe in God. Is this still true?"

"Right now, I'm not sure." Progress, but I  needed more than just flying to a cloud.

I felt the cloud move. I jumped up and spun around and saw a traitor angel (an angel who by choice went to Satan and became a winged demon). "Katrina!" I shot. We were friends in the angel choir before I left for earth. Her brown hair was perfectly straight and fell just above her waist. Her olive toned skin shimmered in a red glow. Her black metalic ressembling wings fell down towards, well hell, and her matching torn strapless dress was above her knees. Where as my feathered white wings fanned out, and my pale skin and red curls sparled. My white glitterly robe covered my knees, but not much more than that. the long sleeves were covered in sparkle and fell to the knee as well, hiding my hands. Our aooearances said it all.  

"Well, well, well," she snickered. "Look at Melanie and my little work in progress."

"Whay happened to you?"

"You picked the wrong boy for a lover," she snapped before grabbing Nathan and throwing him down. "Nice running into you." And then she was gone.

Now what was I supposed to do?