11

I'm not sure of how much time has passed since the exchange with Reisdro, but the next couple of weeks are spent studying the map on my wall, trying to figure out the best route from Keons region to Andre's without being seen by Lisden. Alex's whereabouts are still unknown, but something tells me to follow my gut, which is a bold thing to think coming from someone whos been taught by a Bishop who teaches that your thoughts are most likely incorrect and that second-guessing is something to be wary of. Days are going too fast, memories and time seems to escape me more and more and at some point, I blank out for days on end before one day, the shadow comes back,

     "So, this is what you've become?" it speaks in its 3-toned voice, its smile cruel and disturbingly wide,

     "What do you want from me?" I ask it, finally fed up with its whispers. It laughs,

     "The boys really did a number on you didn't they?"

     "What boys?"

     "Arlyn the traitor doesn't remember? How odd,"

     And with that, something steps out: A person dressed in a red shirt with the sleeves rolled under a black short-sleeved version of the Glorification uniform shirt. Its eyes and smile still glowing white, red pill-looking designs glow red down its chin and neck, but the face is covered in a broken and chipped mask that it still manages to smile under before removing it to show black smear clouds around the eyes. My eyes. It was me.

     "Become glorious with me once again, friend!"

~ ~ ~

TW // MENTIONS OF SELF HARM

     My brain didn't quite register what was happening. Everything is going too fast and my arms burn under my sleeves, but there's no time to check them. Whether there are new scratches and cuts on them that I don't remember giving myself won't matter if I can't get out of here. I can't become Glorified. That's all I'm sure of.

TW  OVER // 

     Something painfully familiar about the frantic packing of my bag and grabbing drawings off of my walls pings in the back of my mind but at this point, I don't care. I need to get out of this godforsaken city with as many as I can. Ripping some of the drawings off my wall, two things fall to the ground that catches my attention. One is the map of Dema, the other being another strange-looking map crudely sketched onto transparent paper. It takes me a moment before it clicks. It was a map of Trench and the tunnel system under Dema. Carefully folding them and shoving them into my pocket, I continue to pack the last few things before zipping up my bag and throwing my jacket on before making my way to the door, but as soon as my hand reaches the handle, something in the back of my mind reminds me of the flower in my desk. Would I need it? With a frustrated sigh, I turn around and aggressively pull open the desk and take out the flower but pause trying to figure out where to put it so with a stroke of genius, I place it in my journal and squish it closed. Now finally ready, I burst through my door and, as soon as my bag is secure, start to sprint through the building, down the stairs, and out the door into the outside world at full speed.

     My feet thud against the slightly damp pavement while making a b-line across Reisdro's region to Keons' region as Watchers scream at me from above, but I ignore them. My head races just as fast as my feet while passing Keons' central lesson building and something pulls me to the far side of the housing units.

     Flying up at least 5 flights of stairs and passing by about 20 different identical-looking doors, I find the one that was seemingly calling to me,