ACT THREE, SCENE THIRTY EIGHT

FONTAINE MANOR

The wards around Fontaine Manor were stronger than ever that night, and despite the fact that any passing stranger wouldn't be able to see her, Sage Fontaine still sat on the porch, leaning back on the rocking chair as she watched the October sun set over the empty horizon.

Her wand was in her hand, held in her fingers with a grip so tight that it could have snapped it right in half.

She was prepared. Whoever wanted to threaten her, hurt her, kill her would find her alone with her empty house. No one else was here to be collatoral damage; she'd sent the staff home for the weekend just in case things got messy.

So on the off chance that whoever had contacted her made good on their promise, she was ready.

When the wards rippled towards the back end of the house, she stood up, spinning her wand around her fingers agitatedly. Whoever was paying her a visit was here.

"Fucking hell, Fontaine. Nearly took my ear off."

Sage's frown deepened, and her left arm fell, wand now pointing towards the ground. "Nott? What the fuck are you doing at my house?" She exclaimed.

Edmund Nott was standing just inside the wards' barrier, lit up from behind by the setting sun, sandy blond hair looking like it was on fire in the light.

He wore all black, and he looked strangely remorseful. "I honestly didn't mean to find out about Regulus. I just—I saw him at the cemetary with you in April, and I've just been sitting on that information." He said.

She looked at him suspiciously, still holding her wand just in case this went south. "What else do you know, Nott?"

"I know you're one of them. One of the Order." Nott admitted, wringing his hands as the nerves seemingly overwhelmed him.

Sage raised her eyebrows, and she rested her wand on her chin. "Alright. So you know my secret. But does your wife know about your secret love child?" She asked, happy to know that she had a trick, however subpar in comparison to his, up her sleeve. "You know, the one your mistress had a few weeks ago? What was his name...Theodore?"

Nott went pale. "You can't tell Natalia." His voice wavered when he spoke his wife's name. "No one can know."

"It seems that we've reached an agreement, then. You keep my secret, and I'll keep yours."

for those who might not remember who nott is—he's sages old hookup buddy from her pre-sirius days.
mwah love u have a good day