3

The next day, Ethan is seen at a table with a pen in hand. He places his pen down next to his journal, before reaching into his pockets. He pulls out a list of ideas on what to write for his next story. He reads over the notes, and eventually over a few minutes he closes the book and groans. Suddenly a cup of coffee is placed next to him. He looks to his right to see Gabriel holding his own cup of coffee.

 "You should at least have some coffee before you work Ethan. We both know how you act around deadlines." The old man said as he continued to solve his crossword puzzle.

 "How did you get this?" Ethan asked as he picked up the coffee.

 "I asked one of the volunteers to take me to the coffee machine and take me back here." The old man told him, Ethan shrugged before taking another sip of his coffee. "So, what are you writing about now?" 

 "Honestly, I have no clue," Ethan groans as he begins to shake his hair in frustration. "The mayoral election is already covered by a coworker of mine. And everyone is picking up the scraps left." Ethan explains to the old man. Gabriel holds his hand out to Ethan as if he was asking for something.  Ethan hands the man his journal, while Gabriel puts on his reading glasses. Gabriel reads through the list of topics before stopping at one.

 "What about this one?" Gabriel asks as he gives the book back to Ethan. Ethan looked at the page to see one topic circled. The recently missing ships.

 "We have almost nothing on this, I doubt I could write anything on this." Ethan told the man.

 "Almost?" Gabriel asks "What do you have?"

 "Nothing. The only thing I got on this was probably a joke."

 "A joke?" Gabriel asks the alcoholic, Ethan sighs as he puts his journal away and takes a sip of his coffee.

 "Godzilla. At Billy's house, he set up some sort of elaborate prank I'm guessing about some monster sinking the ship." 

 "Billy? You sure it was a joke? Didn't you say he's always serious, never telling a lie?"

 "Well yeah, but come on old man, a giant monster? That's impossible," Ethan states as he takes another sip of his coffee.

 "I've seen many impossible things son. Such as a bomb that could wipe out a single city in a second." Gabriel replied before he took a sip of his own coffee. Ethan thinks about what the old man said for a moment. 

 "...People will think I'm crazy," Ethan said.

 "If you go missing they'll know you aren't," Gabriel replied. Ethan scoffs at the old man, before picking up his journal and putting it in his pocket. He stands up, and looks at Gabriel in the eyes.

 "This is my only job left, if I get fired…"  Ethan trails off as he struggles to continue.

 "You've already lost everything mijo. Like me," Gabriel says somberly. Ethan doesn't say anything instead he pats the man's shoulder before leaving. 

-------

  Ethan is seen walking back into work, with a familiar file and tape recorder in hand, along with multiple pictures of Billy's basement. He walks towards Taylor's office, before knocking on the door.

 "Come in," Taylor says through the door. Taylor looks up to see Ethan standing by the door with a seemingly serious face. "Mr. Fleck? Is there a problem?"

 "...Ms. Jones, I have a story." Taylor's eyes widened as she heard him. Practically every time the two see each other, Ethan always calls her by her name, and if not, her first name. 

 "Really? Alright take a seat and, let me hear it", Taylor tells him. As she says that He it's down and places the file and tape recorder down."

 "My brother Billy has been missing for at least a few days from what I know. When I went to his house it was completely empty, untouched for days. In the basement he left me some clues. Take a look at these please." Ethan slides the stuff to Taylor, before getting up to leave.

 "Hold on," Ethan stops as Taylor spoke. "You're going to James' party tomorrow, correct?"

 "Yeah. Why?" Ethan asks her with an eyebrow raised.

  She opens her desk drawer and takes out an envelope. She opens it, revealing an invitation to the party.

 "I received an invitation as well this morning," The blonde woman told him.

 "Why would James send you one?" Ethan asks his boss.

 "I'm not sure, however I will be going. It would be rude to say no." She tells him before continuing. "There is a problem however."

  She opens the invitation to show a special note.

  'Hey Taylor! We'd like you to come to our goodbye party! It's this Saturday, at 8:00pm sharp! If you want the address ask my brother Ethan! He'll show you where to go!'

  Ethan face palmed upon reading the note.

 "Since I don't know where he lives I was thinking you could lead me there tomorrow?"

  Ethan remains quiet before sighing a bit.

 "I don't have a car. So we'll have to take the subway then walk. And knowing you, you'll go in high heels," Ethan says trying to make her reconsider. However that didn't go as planned.

 "That's fine, we could always get a taxi." She replies.

 "I'm broke,"

 "I'll pay," she simply says. Ethan stays silent, causing Taylor to smirk.

 "...Fine. I'll see you tomorrow night," He says as he begins to walk out.

 "And I'll be waiting," Taylor says as Ethan walks out her door.

  As Ethan leaves the building he lets a loud sigh, and whispers.

 "...Shit."