4

Only enemies speak the truth

                                                           - Stephen King

-

"No, go ahead." Alice smiled, pulling out the chair beside her for Aris. Her shocked expression was quickly masked by the smile she covered it with, though inside Alice was utterly confused.

During lunch, Alice had attempted to look into her own future for the next period, just wondering how it would go out of curiosity. To her surprise, she had been unable to see anything. It was just completely black.

This frightened Edward who saw that through her mind, who then frightened the rest of the Cullen's once he had told them.

Of course it had frightened Jasper most of all, but they all agreed that Alice should just go to class and see what happened. Edward promised to be on alert, listening for any sign of danger in the thoughts of the students near Alice, and he'd be ready to swoop in if there was any harm about to be done.

Alice immediately wondered if this girl had something to do with the blockage in her vision.

Wanting to test that theory, she tried to look into her own future again. She was unsuccessful, so she then attempted to look into Aris's, which was also a bust.

This didn't cause Aris pain like when Edward attempted to look into her mind, but rather there was no side affect at all.

Alice decided to put it aside for now, as this girl seemed to be anything but dangerous.

"I love your top," Alice smiled, "I'm Alice, it's nice to meet you."

Aris shook Alice's hand, meeting her golden eyes which seemed to be burning with questions. Alice's questions only seemed to double as she felt the hardness and odd temperature of Aris's skin, wondering what on earth Aris was, and what she was capable of. Was she purposefully blocking out Alice's visions, Alice didn't know, but what she did know that there was something other about Aris.

"Aris," she smiled, "I've met several of your siblings, though I haven't gotten the chance to ask any of them why you moved here. This isn't exactly a place to live that's on everyone's bucket list, so I'm curious." She continued.

'This must be the girl Edward was talking poorly about at lunch and then Rose defended. She seems very nice, so I don't understand what could've happened between them that caused Edward to hate her so much' Alice thought to herself, going through a few of the questions she had in her mind.

"Well, how about this," Alice started, turning so she was facing Aris, "I'll tell you the story about why we moved here if you tell me what happened between you and Edward. He seems to really have a disliking towards you, though I can't imagine why."

Aris's eyebrows furrowed, wondering what on earth Edward's problem was. She had done absolutely nothing to him, and now here he was just going around talking shit about her for no apparent reason.

"Well, you can tell him that the feelings mutual," Aris spat, "but you have yourself a deal. I really am curious as to why the five of you moved here." By the time she was finished speaking, Aris's voice was back to its usual calm.

Alice nodded, and she again just out of habit tried to look into the future to see which story Aris would believe the most. Having been unsuccessful again, Alice just decided to go with the story humans seemed to believe the most.

"Our adoptive father Carlisle is a surgeon, so we move around a lot. There was a position open here that he just couldn't pass up, so we all willingly went along." She explained.