Luseal the Seal ... Nickname: Lucy

After my trip to Sandy Hook, I came home around 5 o'clock to my dad and brother waiting for my mom and I in the living room. My father was sitting on his comfortable chair as he smiled at me. I ran into his arms then sat on the ruby velvet couch. My mother sat next to me, while my brother sat on the tiny tan couch.

         "How was your trip, pumpkin?" questioned my father.

         "I had so much fun," I responded then went on a rant about my day.

         I told him all about how the workers made me a little helper, going in the ocean by myself and getting a stuffed shark. I continued on talking about how I loved being so close to sea animals.

         "Sounds like you had a nice birthday, " grinned my dad. " Would like to go to an aquarium this summer?"

         "Yes, please can we?" I answered back.

         A few weeks later, I went to the aquarium in Point Pleasant, called Jenkinson's Aquarium, with my dad for a father and daughter day. My life changed after this visit. I started to collect National Geographic Kids magazines on the sea creatures because I wanted to know more about the seals, sharks, jellyfish, turtles, fishes, string rays, and others.

         As the years went on, I continued to love going to aquariums in New Jersey and New York. Jenkinson's Aquarium has always beaten the Camden and New York City aquarium. I love how friendly the staff was. The Camden and New York City aquariums felt less comfortable because of the busy environment and fast-paced workers. Point Pleasant was very open to answering any questions their visitors have.

         Recently, I visited Jenkinson's Aquarium again as an adult with my friend. I was excited as I had been on my first visit with my dad about seeing the sea creatures.

         Lucy was a harbor seal that I remember I fell in love with instantly when I first visited with my dad. Every time we went I felt the same way about her. She was approximately 22 or 23 in human years like I am now, and weighted between 130 -150 pounds, which made her the smallest seal living in the tank. The tiny seal was hard to notice at times because she would hide behind her tank mates, Sequin and Coral. The other two seals weigh about 160 – 200 pounds. Sequin and Coral are leopard seals, which weigh more than harbor seals.

          Lucy stood out in my memory for years because of her touching story, and how cute she was. 

         This time when I saw her asked a worker, named Melissa, "How did Lucy come to the aquarium?"

         "Lucy was found stranded in Point Pleasant in February of 1991. The poor baby was only two years old when we found her. We took Luseal in and gave her a home, " shared Melissa.

         I continued watching Lucy and her tank mates as they swam around. Lucy plunged quickly all over her tank as if she was full of life and energy. The seal's tiny size never stopped her from showing off by swimming in circles. Lucy acted proud to be a New Jersey native as she swum around the tank. When I realized that, I reminded myself the tank is the only thing Lucy knows.

         I looked at my friend and asked him, "Do you think Lucy and the other seals get bored?"

         "I would if I was a seal swimming in a tank every day and night, " he said.    I turned my attention back to the tank to continue watching Lucy. The little seal acted as if she didn't mind moving around and around her tank. Lucy looked like she loved swimming in circles on the bottom of the tank three times then quickly  to the top. The seal's whiskers helped her know where the walls were. Every time Lucy's whiskers hit the wall, she flipped around and swam either on her back or stomach toward the other side. The back flips look as if Lucy's body was swirling around in tiny tornados. Water spun around Lucy as she flipped around in the tank like she had no care in the world.