"Ladybug and Chat Noir can help you. You don't have to hurt anyone," she said carefully. Douloureux shook his head, removing her fingers from his face.

"Not hurting. Helping," he declared. Alix snorted.

"How does teaming up with a whack-job terrorist who likes to catch and release butterflies like they're Pokémon help anyone?" She remarked, not holding back any snark even in the face of an akumatized person. Max cuffed her on the back of the head, scowling.

"There is a 94.75% chance that will only rile up the akuma and make things worse for us," He informed her, glaring slightly. Alix pouted, rubbing her head.

"I swear to Queen Bee, Kudbel, if I have to deal with a pissed off akuma because of you, I'll sic so many of my daddy's lawyers on you, you won't know right from left," Chloe snarled. Kim snickered.

"She already doesn't know right from left."

Alix punched him in the shoulder. "Shut up!"

"Um, guys, hello? There's literally an akuma in the front of our classroom holding Marinette hostage. Maybe not the time?" Nino butt in, gesturing to Douloureux's iron grip on Marinette. Kim's snickers cut off abruptly. That was right. Marinette was in danger, and they couldn't do anything about it. Angering the akuma would only get her hurt. Adrien slowly stood up.

"Listen, Douloureux, Marinette's right. Don't let Hawkmoth take advantage of you. It doesn't have to go like this," he pleaded. Douloureux growled.

"Help! I help! Not hurt!" Douloureux insisted. Marinette rushed to comfort him, running her fingers through his hair.

"Shh, shh, it's alright. I believe you. You want to help, right? You're not going to hurt anyone," she assured him, "How are you going to help? What can you do?"

Douloureux relaxed under her hand, peeking up at her almost shyly. "Bad memories. Make Mama sad 'n' Papa angry. I make them go bye-bye. I make Mama 'n' Papa happy again. No more screaming."

Marinette tried not to let her uneasiness show. He could manipulate memories? Or was it just erasing bad ones? Could he view any memory? Could he see them without permission? That could be dangerous. Douloureux seemed to sense her questions, squirming slightly. He lit up as an idea hit him.

"Kind!" He smiled. "You kind?"

Marinette frowned slightly, not sure where this was going. "Um... I think I'm kind, yes. Other people may think differently but I try my best to be nice to everyone I meet."

Douloureux nodded. "You kind. But... you sad. I show you my powers. I make you not sad anymore!"

Marinette's eyes widened. She couldn't let him mess with her memories. She had no idea how his powers worked. What if he discovered her identity? What if he made her forget something important? Hastily, she shook her head.

"No, no, I--" It was too late. Just as she got the words out, his eyes lit up with a gold so bright it looked like he'd harnessed the sun itself. She squinted against the light, curling into herself. In just a blink, she was transported somewhere completely new. It was dark, a muted pink cage with red liquid bleeding through cuts in the walls. Black dots oozed out alongside the red while white dots were splattered across the pink.

"Where are we?"

Marinette spun at the voice, just to see Alya looking around in awe and recording everything on her phone. The rest of her classmates were all there too, dazed and confused.

"I don't know," she admitted. The whole place felt familiar but not for any reason she could place. It just felt... right.

"Marinette!" A voice called and she turned around just as Douloureux collided with her, wrapping his tiny arms around her waist in a hug. She stared at him for a while before hesitantly patting his head. Kneeling down, she met his eyes.