Clopwyck River Part 10

Chapter Ten

Lesson dragged after lesson, the atmosphere in the hallways bloated with excitement for a two day break from school. At lunch Ruby convinced me to stay over at hers tonight, and although I made a big deal about being too old for sleepovers, the idea of a night of normal activity was really appealing. When I got home I had the usual exchange with Andrew, and the usual non exchange with Daria as she seemed absorbed in everything and anything she was doing, as long as it didn't involve making eye contact with me.

I've just changed my clothes and walk into the kitchen to find her cleaning up after dinner. Andrew has Elliot on his lap who is interrupting with observations such as 'puppy' or 'horsey' as Andrew patiently reads him a story. As always, Andrew is the first one to notice me hovering by the doorway.

"You off to Ruby's now then? You sure you don't want to eat here first?"

"I've cleaned everything up now," Daria mutters over her shoulder as she wipes around the sink. She couldn't make it more obvious that she's looking forward to having me out of the house. I've only been here for a week.

"Its fine, we're getting a pizza."

"What time are you going?"

"In about ten minutes."

"I've got to make a phone call about work. You wouldn't mind taking this little man up to bed would you? He's all washed and ready to go, aren't you buddy?"

"She won't know what to do Andrew."

I agree with Daria but Elliot seems to disagree.

"Dem-dem put me to bed." His chubby face is beaming at me as he gets down from Andrew's lap. I stand in the tense atmosphere of the kitchen watching him pad over and reach to me. "Up!"

"Well there you go, the boss has spoken. You don't mind do you Demi, it would be a help. Just put him into bed and read him a quick story, he should get off quite quickly."

I hope so. I pick him up and Andrew walks past us, giving Elliot a quick kiss on the cheek. Daria drops what she's doing and walks over to do the same. I feel alien as this is the closest we've been to each other since I got here. She murmurs love and sweet dreams into Elliot's ear, kisses his forehead and then nods for me to go.

"Dis way."

Elliot points a pink finger up the stairs and successfully navigates me to his bedroom. I open the door, plop him down and he obediently trots over to his bed and climbs into it. I'm glad one of us knows what they're doing. He firmly grips a battered stuffed rabbit and looks at me expectantly. I guess that's my cue.

"Ok, so, I guess I should tuck you in?"

He doesn't disagree so I must be on the right track. I tuck him in until only his rabbit and his smiling round face are peeking out from under the duvet.

"And now I read you a story?" He nods. "Which story do you want?"

"Hungry tatterpillar."

He reaches under the duvet and pulls out a battered copy of the Hungry Caterpillar. An unannounced memory bursts inside my heart and tears form in my eyes.

"What's crying, Dem-dem?"

"Nothing, its ok. I'm ok. It's just...I used to like this story, Elliot, and my Mum used to read it to me when I was little, like you."

I have no control over the tears as they gently roll down my cheeks. Elliot reaches up and touches one of them before putting his little hand on mine.

"Where your Mummy?"

I turn away from him and screw my eyes shut. God, I suck at story time. I breathe deeply through my nose, gathering myself before I turn back to him and try to smile.