Chapter 8 - Her little Angel

Start from the beginning

"Cassy?" An older woman calls from up the stairs, she looks down and smiles. She has a little child in her arms, the child looks no older than one. I watch as the older woman makes her way down the stairs and hands the little bundle to Cassy, who reaches in her back pocket and hands the woman a handful of bills.

"Thanks," She says, waving the woman off. She turns to my and looks at the floor as if she was embarrassed. "I guess I should have told you before you agreed to come over, but..."

She holds up the baby so I can get a better look, It's defiantly a cute kid. Probably around seven months old, blonde hair and pretty green eyes. I look up at Cassadee who is biting her lip.

"This is my son, Lucas."

"Son?" I gasp, I didn't mean for it to sound rude. I just wasn't expecting this.

"I told you we would be bonding, and that includes story time." She smiles, cradling the small child to her chest. "Go get some soda for us, Alek."

Alek nods with a huge smile on his faces as he walks into the kitchen, Cassadee settles on the couch and places Lucas on the floor. The young boy starts to roll around, looking for something to play with or chew on. A few minutes later Alek comes back handing me and Cassadee some pepsi, then he bends down and brings Lucas into the other room, they are still visible but he is far enough so he can't hear us.

"Lucas is nine months old." Cassadee says, looking over to  her little angel. "Last year I was kind of a rebel, a hot head, a...." She shakes her head and bites her lip before continuing. "As you can see, my mother isn't home - and my father ran off with some bimbo a long time ago. My mom works away from home, only comes and visits once every few months. I was a lonely kid, all I had was Alek. I guess I was trying to grab my mother's attention by being bad. I was arrested once, vandalizing property by spray painting curse words on a public school building." She laughs a little and smiles down at her son. "It wasn't enough, I needed more. I didn't expect or even plan to have Lucas. It sort of just happened."

"Whose..." I swallow. "Whose the father."

Cassadee blushes and looks at Alek, who is smiling at the baby as if he was his whole world. Then, it clicks.

"Oh."

"Yeah." Cassadee shakes her head and chuckles. "I was drunk, he was drunk. He was my first, actually he was my only. I guess I'm happy it's him, he is great. I love him, I do. And I know he loves Lucas. Hell, Alek even practically moved in here so he could help taking care of him. He wouldnt let me give the kid up. Which now, I'm glad I didn't."

"Are you and Alek...Together?" I ask, biting my lip. I was really curious.

"Nope." Cassadee shakes her head with a smile. "I know he loves me, I mean I'm not completely stupid. I told you before I love him too, but the idiot doesn't take a hint. He hasn't asked me, so I basically prance around drooling over other guys. He gets jealous, but doesn't put two and two together, you know?"

"I get it." I slap my hand to my face. "You are trying to make him ask you out by thinking that you might get stolen by someone else. And he hasn't asked you out because he thinks you actually like them."

"That obvious, huh?" Cassadee smile, nodding.

"You're both idiots, if you ask me." I chuckle.

"Oh shut up." She slaps my arm. "Your turn."

"What do you wanna know?" I ask leaning back into the couch, biting my lip.

"You said something at the ice cream shop. You said something about you and Denton are strangers. What did you mean?"