Just as we finish discussing our new recipe, the front door opens and my dad walks in, his suit jacket draped over his arm and his dress shirt wrinkled from the day's work. He looks tired from his no doubt long and tiring day at the office, but once he sees me and my mom, his tired eyes light up and he instantly smiles.

My dad is the perfect match for my mom. Her beauty could have gotten the attention of any guy she wanted, but she settled for my father. He has a contagious laugh, caring actions, and a determination to live life to the fullest. That would be hard for any girl to turn away. He's not the most attractive of men, with his receding hairline, black hair already thinning, and a slight beer belly growing on him, but he has beautiful blue eyes that draw her in and an amazing, caring personality to seal the deal.

"There they are, my two favorite girls in the whole world."

He walks over to my mom and sets a sweet kiss on her lips and then ruffles my hair like I'm still his little five-year-old.

"What was on your agenda today?" my mom asks.

"I just came from the store on Avenue F." He sighs as he sits down on his decades-old recliner, kicks off his work shoes, and throws them in a pile with my own that I'm sure has my mom preparing a scolding for us. "Archie asked if you wanted any more hours, sweetheart," he says to me.

My attention perks up at his words and I find myself instantly agreeing to the opportunity to work some more hours.

My parents own an expanding chain of auto shops, and I work part time in the closest one to us, on Avenue F. It was the first-ever location for the business. Thanks to my dad's countless hours of hard work and my mother's unwavering support, Tucker Auto now spans the entire Midwest, and we're trying to expand to locations on the East Coast to become nationwide.

Archie is my boss, as well as the head mechanic. He doesn't have much of a brain for business but he can fix nearly any car brought his way. He and my dad have a great bond, because although my dad is the CEO of the entire company, he loves to stay in touch with every store, Archie's especially, since that location was the first one for the business.

"You think you can help Archie later?" Dad asks, putting the chair back and lifting the footrest with a relaxed sigh.

"I would love to—you know I'd never turn down an extra hour or two at the shop."

My dad grins. "How was your day, sweetheart?"

"Same old, good and full of time spent with Jack."

"Why don't you invite him over for dinner? I can talk to him about what his game plan is, see if that coach of yours is doing his job right."

This is Texas. High school coaches take their jobs as seriously as NFL coaches vying for a Super Bowl win.

"He would but he's going to be at the field getting in extra practice with the guys."

"Another time then."

My parents fell in love with Jack the moment they met him. He charmed them with his passionate talk of pursuing football, his southern manners, and words of affection for me. They could easily see how happy he made me. With everything that had happened just before he and I met they were appreciative of someone who could get me smiling again.

That's one of the reasons I fell for Jack so hard. He was the only light I saw when I was stuck in a tunnel of darkness.

Standing up and stretching, I grab my backpack and head upstairs to do the little bit of homework I have. Passing the vacant room sends a shiver down my spine and reminds me of the sadness that ate at my heart before Jack came along. This used to be Max's room.