“What would you like to do now?” I ask.

“I’m actually a bit tired; I think I’ll head to bed.” Phil replies sleepily.  “I’ll see you both in the morning.” He walks back to his room, leaving Penelope and I standing in the lounge.

“Want to play a video game?” she suggests.

“Always.”  I smile, walking to our little collection.  “What would you like to play?”

“Nothing that would disturb Phil, like Rock Band or Dance Dance Revolution…” she says, kneeling next to me to look at the games.  I grab Sonic 4 from the shelf, remembering the time Phil and I played this.  I show it to her, and she raises an eyebrow.  “Please?” I ask, and she sighs, taking the game and setting it up.  I take a seat on the couch as the television comes to life, and she joins me.

We play Sonic until we are both sick of dying so often.  I turn it off, and check the time: 2:46.  “Are you tired?” I ask her.  She nods, so I get up and lead her to my room.  “You can sleep here.”

“No, this is your room.  Where would you stay?”

“On the couch—“ I start, but she cuts me off.

“No.  I’ll stay on the couch.” She laughs, looking around my room.  “You play the piano?” she asks, noting the gayest piano in the history of musical instruments what with the fairy lights all around it.

“Not very well,” I blush.

“Play me something.” She says, sitting on the bench and patting the space next to her.  I sit, and start playing Sunburn by Muse.  I hear her humming along, up until the chorus.

“She burns like the sun…” I belt out, over exaggerating the notes.

“And I can’t look away…” she returns, smiling widely.

“And she’ll burn out horizons make no mistake.” We sing in unison.

“You’re really good!” she says, making my cheeks go red.

“No I’m really not…” I reply.  “Do you play?”

“I wish!  I was forced to take lessons as a child but I don’t remember anything.”

“Play me something!” I ask excitedly.  She rolls her eyes, smiling slightly as she hovers her hands above the keys.  She plays Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, laughing at herself.

“I told you…”

“Do you know any songs that require you to press two keys at once?” I chuckle.

“Yeah, this one’s called Dan Sucks.” She replies, holding down random notes as she sees fit.

“Beautiful.” I laugh.

“Can you teach me a song?” she asks.  “One that is more impressive than Twinkle Twinkle Little Star?”

“Well, I don’t think anything will be quite as impressive as that…” I reply.  “But I’ll try.”  I stand up and scoot her towards the center of the piano.  I place her hands on the appropriate keys, and lay mine on top.  I press down, playing a song off the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack.  I rest my head on top of hers, continuing the tune from memory until I forget the ending.

“Okay, there is no way I am remembering that.” She giggles and stands up.  “Thanks for the lesson, but I’m getting really sleepy now.  Is there a blanket I can borrow?”

“Of course.” I stand up, and grab a thick fuzzy blanket and two pillows from a closet.  “Are you sure you don’t want to sleep in my room?  I’ll be fine on the couch.”