4. Well Guarded Secret

Mia

The pain was getting worse. Every morning she woke up, she sweating and gasping for air despite the blast of centralized air-conditioning units in her suite of rooms.

Then there was the sound of her voice in her head. Hers. It had to be. Though accented. She knew. But how could she sound rich and sultry, deeper, and rasper? Unused. MJ was scared out of her wits.

She was changing and she didn't know why. At the gym, she had torn numerous punching bags during training. Her new strength was disconcerting more so when she knocked out men three times her size, during one of her sparring sessions. Her father and cousins were proud. She was not impressed; she was deadly afraid. What if she accidentally hurt someone? What if she hurt her only best friend Toni with her newfound strength?

Her sense of smell became acute, so was her hearing. She could smell fear, hate, jealousy, and lust but also happiness and excitement. She could hear a person whispering from afar, hear hearts thudding, and accurately guess their emotions. MJ was becoming something more.

What is happening to me?

'You are becoming me.'

"What the fuck!" Shrieking, she bolted out of her queen-size bed. "Who are you?" Her eyes fearfully scanned her room.

'I am you, human.'

"I am going crazy. Fuck! Crazier. Yes. Crazier." She hummed and began to pace. Her hand gripping her long dark brown locks.

'Not crazy, silly. I am your wolf.' The voice in her head answered cheerfully.

"It's me. Not her." She was uttering gibberish. Damn!

'Will you stop it. You are making me, ourselves, dizzy.'

"If I don't answer. You will go away." MJ connected her smartphone to her JBL and blasted a rock song. On repeat.

'I will not go away because I am you. You are stubborn.'

"Please. Go away." God. She didn't want to end up in an asylum. She wanted an exciting career, to fall in love, have kids, and travel the world.

'I will not go away. I am a part of you. We fulfill our dreams with our mate. He is waiting for us for a long time.'

Now, her conscience had spoken in sentences. Articulate, too.

'Okay. If you just let me explain, and if you still want me to go away after, I will.'

"Well, I can't really stop you, can I?" Her unsteady voice was loud for her sensitive ears.

'You have inhuman abilities. Wanna know why?'

"Please do the honors and scare me out of my wits."

'Haha. Sarcasm does become you. I should know. I am you.'

"Are you going to tell me or not?" She snapped. The fuck she was having a conversation with herself.

'Oh, shush. I will. Just shut up and listen.' MJ closed her eyes in pain. She had no choice but to go back to her bed. She would drown herself in aspirin later. 'You have been reading the lycan book. I know you are intrigued. What if I tell you it is all real?'

"Then you are a loony. I am a loony." She murmured.

'I am sad you think that way. You should believe me. I should have met you, my human at 16 years old but mother made us drink those suppressants. Why? Does she not love me? I am her pup, too.'