Chapter 5

Betty leaves the auditorium, shoving her script in her backpack. She looks up and sees Jughead standing in front of her, smiling.
    "Hi," she says. "I'm just going to put my backpack in my locker and leave it here tonight."
    "Okay, you were great in there, by the way."
    Betty feels her face heat up, "thank you."
    He nods, putting an arm over her shoulders and they walk to her locker. When they get to Jughead's car he begins to drive off,  resting his hand on Betty's thigh. Betty places her hand on top of his.
    "Thanks for inviting me."
    "Yeah, of course. I know it might not be customary to meet someone's family on your second date, but I didn't want to cancel on you."
    Betty smiles, resting her head on his shoulder. Once they get to the recital, Gladys embraces Betty, then Fp.
    "Jug, can I make you pretty for the recital?" A little girl asks from behind her mother.
    "Sure, Ash," he smiles.
    "Can the pretty lady come too?"
    "If she wants." 
    "Sure," Betty smiles, following them into the girl's bathroom.
    Jughead crouches down and Betty watches Astrid paint blue eyeshadow on his eyelids, bright pink blush on his cheeks and sparkly lipgloss on his lips. She then puts pink nail polish on his nails.
    "Can I do your makeup?" She asks, turning to Betty.
    "Ash, she already has makeup on."
    "I think Astrid can make it better," she smiles, sitting on the floor next to Jughead and Astrid does the same thing to Betty that she did to Jughead.
    "Can I do your makeup?" Betty asks her.
    Astrid nods excitedly and Betty lifts her onto the counter, gently brushing makeup on her face. Astrid turns around, looking in the mirror. She smiles.
    "I'm so pretty."
    "What do you say to Betty?" Jughead asks.
    "Thank you, Betty."
    "You're welcome."
    "We should get back before the recital starts," Jughead says, lifting Astrid onto his hip.
    "Gladys look, it's lady gaga," Fp teases Jughead.
    "Look at you, Astrid. Where did you get your makeup done?"
    "Betty."
    "That was very nice of her."
    After the recital, they all meet at pops where Jughead's parents pay for dinner.
    "So, how long have you and Jug been dating?" Fp asks.
    "Oh, we aren't together," Betty says.
    "Really? You seem very close."
    "Well, we've been talking, but we aren't together right now." 
    "I see."
    "But I do really like him. He's a great guy."
    Fp and Gladys both smile.
    "What did you guys do on your date?" Jellybean asks.
    Betty laughs to herself and Jughead holds back a smile, "we uh, we went to pops and then the park."
    "Sounds like fun."
    "It was," Betty smiles, looking at Jughead. "He's very good to me."
    "That's good to hear," Gladys says.
    Jughead puts an arm over Betty's shoulders, pulling her closer to him.
    "I should take Betty home," he says.
    "Well, it was very nice to meet you, Betty. We hope to see you again soon."
    "Yeah, I had a lot of fun."
    Betty and Jughead get in the car and Betty smiles at him, "thank you for this. It's nice to get out of the house."
    "Well, I'll just have to take you out again some time."
    "I would love that."
    "How does next Saturday sound?"
    "Saturday sounds wonderful."
    Jughead smiles, kissing her before they drive back to her house.