Part Eleven: Green

(art by @ mk_0810_mk on twitter)

(the song should play through the entire chapter)

----------

***

The following months consisted of kisses, qingxin flower crowns, and the sweet scent of almond tofu.

Xiao and Aether established a home at Wangshu Inn. Aether was still searching for his sister, but had decided to stay in Liyue for the time being. The Qixing offered to help him in any way possible, and on his behalf, sent a small envoy to Inazuma to continue moving through the continents for more information regarding Lumine. In the meantime, Aether spent his days helping out around the inn. He had grown very attached to everyone who worked there, and would normally assist in cleaning or cooking.

The two had kept their relationship hidden, aside from the workers at the inn, and the Qixing and other adepti. Xiao was the first of the adepti to ever fall for a mortal, and for their safety and privacy, it was kept under wraps.

Aether was outside, across the bridge from the inn. Winter was dying out for the year, giving birth to a warm spring day, and the sun gently kissed his skin as he was picking flowers to make tea. He had a bag of fresh caught fish for the chef, along with other herbs from Qingce Village. Though he knew life would be better with his sister found, Aether focused on the positives. His boyfriend was now the highest ranking adeptus, and they built a beautiful life together so far. They would frequently visit Zhongli at the funeral parlor, as Xiao's way of showing continued respect for his past archon. He would be showing his gratitude to his savior until the day he died, and he was content with that.

Aether dropped the food off in the kitchen, and returned to the room he shared with Xiao, flopping onto the bed with a long sigh. That day felt much longer than usual, and he knew he had more time to kill before his adeptus would be home, so he made a spur of the moment decision to head down to the harbor. He gathered paints and a hand-stretched canvas, and set off with Paimon.

The traveler, who was once abandoned and left alone by the universe, was happy. He was happy the sun was shining after a harsh winter, the birds began to sing again, and there was not a cloud in sight. The Qixing had begun to decorate for the upcoming Lantern Rite, and even from the opposite side of the water that surrounded the harbor, the bustling energy could be felt. As Aether sat, chatted with his noisy companion, and painted, the sun ran its course overhead, and said a farewell to a beautiful day.

----------

Xiao came home to an empty room.

"Aether?" His love was not there as he usually was, and panic very quickly set in. A million horrible scenarios flew through his mind as he searched the inn, yet he was put at ease once Verr Goldet told him he had gone to the harbor with painting supplies. He reached Aether as the last light of day was gracing his body, laying, unmoving in the vibrant green grass. "Aether, are you okay? What happened?"

The traveler squirmed as he rubbed his eyes, and was greeted with a sigh of relief. "Xiao?"

"Come, love, let's go home."

Aether put on the best pouty face he could. "No... lay with me. The harbor is beautiful at night." He grabbed at Xiao's clothes, pulling him into his chest. Xiao did his best to resist, but it was nearly impossible with how big Aether's eyes were.

He rolled his eyes and smirked. "Only for a short time then," the adeptus leaned over and kissed his forehead, "you know we can not be seen like this."

Aether dismissed his concerns with a wave of his hand, burrowing his face in his neck. Xiao smelled faintly of vanilla, and it brought a smile to Aether's face. They laid there just until the stars began to shine, but those few short minutes felt like an eternity, which was a common occurrence. He felt as though he had experienced entire lifetimes by Xiao's side, and Xiao had no shortage of stories to tell of his thousands of years of life.

He picked the sleepy Aether up gently in his arms, and together they went back to the inn. As they reached the balcony, Xiao looked up to see a brilliant flash of light streak across the sky. A wishing star. He smiled, and bowed his head down, closing his eyes.

"My wish is that you will say yes, love."

"Hmm?" Aether stirred in his arms, still half asleep.

Xiao shook his head. "Nothing. Do you want tea?"

A smile played on Aether's face. He nodded. And not long afterwards, the room was filled with a mint smell, as the adeptus threw green, sun dried leaves into a cup. It was back to their nightly routine.

"Do you want to see what I painted today?"

Xiao placed gentle kisses on Aether's shoulders and cheeks. Once he had grown comfortable, he quickly became a very touchy person. He constantly craved Aether's presence, and Aether was too happy to oblige.

"Yes, show me."

Aether set the canvas on the table. There was Lumine, her eyes lit up by the glow of a thousand lanterns in the night sky. The traveler sighed, a single tear escaping his eye. Xiao quickly swiped it away. 

"I feel like I'm already forgetting what she looks like. I don't even know how long it's been since I last saw her." Aether rested his head on Xiao's shoulder, holding onto his arm. 

"We will find her, and we will all spend the next Lantern Rite together." He smiled at Aether, who returned the favor. 

"Can we lay down now?"

"Of course."

They finished their tea, and the traveler fell asleep soon after. Xiao held him as gentle breaths escaped his lips, yet his heart was pounding. He thought about the wishing star he had seen earlier that night, and the way their lives were about to change in just a few hours.

"Please, Aether, say yes tomorrow. I want to be with you forever."