Prologue

(art by @ cmpsnoki on twitter)

(when you see *** play the song)

----------

***

Liyue, similar to the rocks of the earth it sits on, has stood sturdy against the test of time.

This includes its businesses, which flourish under the guidance of Rex Lapis and the governing Qixing, and its people, both of which are under the protection of the mighty and illuminated adepti that reside in Jueyun Karst.

The adepti have lived through many days and nights, and yet still hold their contracts with Rex Lapis, the Geo Archon who rules the land. Among the adepti, the yakshas hold the highest rank. While there were many yakshas in the turbulent times following the end of the archon war, five guardian yakshas with unique visions were tasked with dispelling the demons that spilled from fallen archon's bodies. They alone would bear all the karmic debt that seeped from the exorcised souls, but with karmic debt came the madness. They turned on one another and became fully absorbed by the evil. Of the five, only one remains.

Alatus, who was once a gentle and kind soul, fell prey to an archon during the war. He became evil incarnate, and his soul was corrupted to slaughter innocent people and feed on their dreams. Rex Lapis, however, was the victor in the free-for-all. After his rival was struck down, Alatus gained his freedom. He was given a new identity for his protection, and to repay his debt, he became one of the guardian yakshas, performing his duties of eliminating whatever devils came to haunt Liyue Harbor. 

"In the fables of another world, the name Xiao is that of a spirit who encountered great suffering and hardship. He endured much suffering, as you have. Use this name from now on."

This is adeptus Xiao. One of the mighty and illuminated adepti. The sole surviving guardian yaksha. The bane of all evil. The conqueror of demons. He does not fathom human emotions, and knows only how to protect through violence. Those who witness him in action rarely live to tell the tale. He is not a famous god that people pray to for wealth or luck, in fact, few even know his name. His demon expelling art is a thankless job, and to weep for his fallen comrades is to disrespect their craft. If you were to ask this adeptus who his worst enemy is, his answer would not be the devils, but rather himself. He alone must bear the karmic debt, and fight the urge to fall to the darkness. 

Adeptus Xiao has seen thousands of years' worth of fighting, and will see his contract through until the day his jade spear strikes the ground for a final time.