Part Seven: Peach

(art by @ DL_MASK_ on twitter)

(the song should play through the entire chapter)

----------

***

The next time Aether opened his eyes, he was alone in his room at Wangshu Inn.

On the table next to him was a plate of food, a soup of some kind, bloodied rags, and medicine. His vision was still blurry, and the whole room spun as he tried to sit up and look around. His movements caused him to start coughing, spitting blood out onto his arm. Aether's whole body ached. 

"You're finally awake. Good." Xiao appeared on the balcony, not bothering to use the door. He grabbed the used rags and dabbed Aether's arm. "Do you remember what happened?" 

Aether's head rocked back and forth on the pillow. "No, not really. Did something happen? Wait, are you okay?" Xiao furrowed his brows. He couldn't believe that even though the traveler couldn't sit properly in bed, his first concern was with other people. 

"I'm fine, though I struggle to understand the way your mind works." This caused Aether to chuckle lightly, letting out a sigh.

"You know I can take care of myself right? I'll be okay. I know you must be busy as an adeptus."

"The era of adepti has passed. I find myself having a lot more free time these days. It does not inconvenience me to help you. Plus..." Xiao hesitated, focusing on the floor before finishing his sentence, "...this is my fault."

Aether had a look of confusion twisted on his face. "Your fault?" 

"I should have known better than to spar with you."

In an instant, a memory came to Aether's mind. Him, Ganyu, and Zhongli, picking glaze lilies, conversing about adeptus Xiao, and the fate of his previous partners. He remembered what had happened just a few days ago, Xiao besting him during training, lying on the ground with the adeptus over his body, the emotions he felt...

"Why are you turning red? Are you feverish?" Xiao asked, his head cocked to one side. Aether's hands flew to his face, startling his caretaker. 

"No! No! I'm okay!" He buried his face in his scarf for a while, hoping Xiao would not pry any further. He did not.

"Aether..." His name sounded like heaven in his voice. It came out soft and breathy, and was not much more than a whisper. He looked up at Xiao with a "hmm?" "Once again, I have brought harm to you. I-I lost control."

"No, it's okay. We were training, of course someone was going to get hurt."

"Hurt? Yes. But beaten within an inch of life? No."

"Xiao, really-"

"No." And that was when Aether felt a droplet on his arm, and a hand holding his. He looked into Xiao's eyes, their normal color diluted to a soft peach. Tears were welling up, and a few escaped onto his cheeks. "You don't understand. I thought I killed you. I carried you back to the inn, but you felt lifeless. I-I thought I lost you." The tears flowed freely down his face at that point. This was not the first time Xiao had nearly killed someone, and there were many mortals who fell at the hands of the yaksha, but he did not want to hurt Aether. Anyone, anything, but Aether.