xxiii. FACING FEARS

⋆ ˚ 。⋆ ✧ ⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼ ✧ ⋆ 。˚ ⋆

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: FACING FEARS

❛don't let it consume you.❜

⋆ ✧ ⋆

⋆  ✧  ⋆

It was early on after their parabatai ceremony that Zoya Caldwell had realized she could not stay mad at Emma Carstairs for long. She didn't recall when the particular accident had happened, but the images of Emma returning from her solo practice at the beach ー one that she had promised they would have together and get a chance to work out a new strategy of combining Cortana and Lazarus' powers ー burned vividly in Zoya's memory. The raven-haired girl had spent a good hour or so, tracing after Emma and giving her an earful of most pathetic phrases in hopes of awaking at least a twinge of guilt in the girl's chest. Emma kept on rolling her eyes at her parabatai and stating that it wasn't her fault Zoya had overslept.

The Caldwell girl had known Emma was right, but that didn't erase the fact that she was terribly disappointed for missing out on the training session she had been looking forward to. She went as far as going to the training room alone and creating her own strategies for using Lazarus, only to have Emma show up with a smirk on her face. Zoya had blatantly ignored her presence, pretending as if she were still completely alone ー up until Emma decided to unleash Cortana and block every swing of Lazarus' that Zoya directed toward her. Unintentionally, their silent treatment had turned into a breathless laughter and the parabatai had found themselves sprawled across the large mat and looking toward the high ceiling. Emma didn't exactly apologize, but just showing up when Zoya thought she wouldn't was enough to heal the raven-haired girl's heart.

It was then that Zoya had realized that no matter what happened to her, that no matter how hollow her chest had felt, if Emma was by her side ー she was invincible. No apologies needed to be shared, no excuses offered. The true feelings were known to them, even when their words ran out.

Zoya didn't quite understand it back then, but their new connection was responsible for that. The parabatai bond that joined their souls was not just runes painted upon their skins, it was the silent exchange of comfort. The invisible threat that tied their hearts together and made them beat the same untamable rhythm of defiance.

To Zoya, that was much more valuable than any spoken word. No matter how many petty arguments they shared, no matter how many secrets they kept before their hearts realized they could not hide something from their other half, at the end of the day ー it was just the two of them.

Zoya and Emma.

Two parts of the same soul.

That was something that no one could take away from them, no matter how hard they tried.