Chapter 9

The next few weeks were basically the same thing every day. We went to work, came home, took care of Mikey, and we were used to our new schedule. The only thing not normal is I have been throwing up everything I ate. I didn't know what was wrong, I wasn't sick because everything else was fine so I just was worried about throwing up. Eli was beyond worried, he never liked me being sick or anything. He stayed by my side when we were home and he would come to the nursery every chance he got to check on me. Some things I could hold down but not much.

At this moment I was in the bathroom throwing up in the nursery.

"Hey, Madilyn are you ok?" Amy knocked on the door.

I washed out my mouth and walked out.

"Yeah, I just have been throwing up everything I have eaten these past few weeks?" I explained.

"Oh joy the lovely things that come with pregnancies." She laughed.

"I'm not pregnant." I shot her a worried look.

"Are you sure?" She looked at me skeptically.

"I'm sure." I was confused.

"How long have you been throwing up?" She asked.

"Three and a half weeks now." I explained.

"Madilyn, that's morning sickness." She rubbed my arm.

"I can't be pregnant. I would know if I was." I was shocked.

"I didn't find out until I was two months." She tried to make me feel better.

"I can't be pregnant, the last time I and Eli had sex was four weeks ago." It all came together as I said the sentence out loud.

"I think you should either go get a test or go have Becka give you an ultrasound," She hugged me.

"Yeah, I think I'm going to go see Becka a little before my lunch." I was shocked.

"Let me know the results after your lunch." She smiled.

"I will." I walked into the other room where Mikey was.

What if I am pregnant? What is Eli going to think? How is he going to react? Mikey is all healthy now and his court date is going to be next week. The social worker even talked to Eli and me about adopting him. Eli and I haven't even talked about it yet. He loved Mikey and so did I, so how were we going to be able to give him up to a different family that he doesn't even know. Eli and I are all he knows at this point, he probably thinks we are his parents. He is so attached to both of us and we are attached to him. I want to keep Mikey but if I am pregnant how am I going to be able to take care of both babies. How would this work, were we going to have to give Mikey up, I can't do that to him. I am going to talk to him when we get home later.

I took care of the babies I had like usual but I was just distracted the entire time. I was thinking about whether or not I was pregnant. The hours passed by so slow, I was just anxious to go see Becka.

About five minutes before my lunch started I told Amy that I was going to see Becka and to page me if Mikey or any of the other babies woke up.

I anxiously walked to where she was which was on the next floor up and in the third door on the right. I knocked on the door.

"Come in." She called out.

I nervously walked in.

"Hey, Becka." I smiled.

"Hey, girl. What's up, I haven't seen you in forever." She got up and hugged me.

"I know, it's been way too long." I loved Becka she was so cool and laid back.

"So, what can I do for you?" She sat down.

"I was wondering if you can do me a huge favor and do a quick ultrasound on me." I was so nervous.

"Yeah, no problem. Come on." She led me to a room.

"Alright, you know the drill. Lay down and pull up your shirt for me." She grabbed the things she needed.

"I am so nervous." I did as she said.

"It's alright either way you'll be a great mom. I see how you are with the baby you are fostering and you and Eli are doing a great job." She put the gel stuff on my tummy.

"Thank you. By the way, don't tell Eli I was here, I'm not going to tell him anything unless I am for sure pregnant." I explained.

"No problem. So, are you going to adopt the little guy?" She turned on the machine.

"He has his court date next week but we haven't really talked about it." I was trying to calm down.

"Are you and Eli trying to get pregnant?" She placed the thing on my tummy.

"No." I didn't look at the monitor.

She moved the thing around my tummy for a few seconds before stopping on one spot.

"Well, I have good news or bad news, it depends on how you will feel about it." She looked over at the monitor and then me.

"What is it?" I looked at her.

"Look and see for yourself." She smiled.

I looked at the monitor and there it was. A tiny little bean-like thing in my tummy. It had a heartbeat and everything on the monitor.

"I'm pregnant." I exhaled air I didn't even know I was holding in.

"Four weeks to be exact." She looked at the monitor.

"Is it healthy?" I asked.

"Yes, very." She examined it.

"Can I hear its heartbeat?" I asked.

She turned on the sound and I could hear a heartbeat. It didn't sound like a regular heartbeat but I knew that it was one from all my training.

"I'm so happy for you." She wiped the gel off my tummy.

I was trying to process it all. I didn't know what I was feeling. Everything felt like a daze and everything was muffled.

"Can I stay here for a second?" I asked.

"Of course, take all the time you need." She hugged me and left.

I sat down and tried to process this. I was going to be a mom, like for real this time. There was a human being growing inside me. Eli and I created this little life and we were going to be parents of our own child now. Our family is growing at a really fast pace but I knew at this point I was ready to be not only a mom to my own baby but Mikey as well. I was not going to let him go but I am for sure going to have to talk to Eli.