Chapter 5

"Hey, babe." I smiled.

"Hey, how's your shift? He opened his lunch pale.

"It's good so far." I opened my lunch.

"How's Michael?" He asked.

"He's good." I took a bite of my hot wings.

"I'm excited to meet him later." He smiled.

"So, Brittney ended up splitting us and all the nurses in the nursery are assigned to two babies. I have Mikey and at 2 I got another baby her name is Maddison and she is so cute." I took another bite.

"Do they cry a lot?" He asked.

"Mikey only cries when he wakes up and realized I'm not there. Maddison, she hasn't cried yet." I laughed.

"That's good." He took a bite.

"So, what about you?" I asked.

"I have already had two surgeries. One of a tummy tuck and the other on a facelift." He loved talking about his work.

"I wanted to talk to you about something." I was going to bring up Brittney's question.

"What's wrong?" He got nervous.

"Nothings wrong just, Mikey isn't doing good, he doesn't sleep or eat with any of the other nurses. So, Brittney asked me if I could take him home during the day and bring him back for my night shift. I asked her if I could do that legally and she said yes that she talked to his social worker and she said it was a great idea and that since we already had background checks we would just have to sign some papers. We wouldn't be fostering any other kids just Mikey. I told her I would talk to you about it." I explained the whole situation.

"Wow." He was shocked.

"We don't have to do it if you don't want to." I quickly made sure he didn't feel pressured.

"No, I want to do it. I think it will be amazing to have him around. The decision is up to you, I am down for it." He was excited.

"So, you want to take him home?" I was making sure.

"Yeah, it'll be great practice for me." He smiled brightly.

"It would only be a couple of months until he gets healthy enough to go with his new family or a new foster home." I explained.

"I know, but I would love to have him." His face was filled with joy.

"I'm so excited. We are going to be bringing a baby home tonight." I was excited.

"So, when do we sign the papers?" He was so eager.

"I told Brittney I would talk to you now at lunch and then I would go by her office after my shift." I smiled.

"Ok, I'll wait for you there." He smiled.

"I can't believe we are bringing a baby home." It was hard to grasp the concept.

"Me either, we are going to be parents." He was so happy.

"You're going to love him." I smiled.

We finished lunch and he walked me back to the nursery because he didn't have his next surgery until 6. It was only 5 so he was going to hang out in the nursery for a while.

I scanned us in and we walked in.

"Thank god you're back. Michael just started crying." Clare looked tired.

I walked to the other room. I opened his thing and took him out.

"Hey, their buddy it's ok, I'm here, you're ok." I rocked him slowly.

He opened his eyes to look at me.

"Let's change your diaper and get you a bottle." I took him to the changing table.

I changed his diaper and got him a bottle. Eli watched my every move in awe.

"You're a good mom." He smiled.

I smiled and grabbed the carrier from the cabinet.

"Hold him please." I handed Mikey to him.

Mikey had fallen back asleep so but he moved a little to adjust himself. Mikey liked Eli so that was a good thing. While Eli was holding Mikey, Maddison woke up, I changed her diaper and looked at her chart. It was time for her to go back with her mom for a while.

"Babe, I will be right back. I need to take Maddison to her mom." I rolled her through the door.

I quickly took Maddison to her mom. Her mom was a very sweet lady and so was the dad.  

I went back to the nursey and Eli was still holding Mikey. Mikey was now awake and was smiling at Eli. It was the cutest thing ever.

"Oh hey, Princess." Eli noticed me in the doorway.

"Having fun?" I smiled.

"Yup." Eli smiled.

"You're being such a good boy." I cooed at Mikey.

He smiled at me.

"Alright, Mikey sorry but I have to go." Eli kissed Mikey on his head.

"Ok, hold on, let me put on the carrier." I quickly strapped the carrier on.

We carefully placed Mikey in the carrier and we said our goodbyes until it was time for Eli to meet me in Brittney's office.

The rest of the night Mikey stayed in the carrier. He slept a little while and then was awake for a little while. I got all the things I needed to do done. I cleaned the nursey, washed bottles, made new ones, helped the other nurses get incubators ready, got some reading done, talked to the other nurses. It was about 7:30 in the morning and my shift was going to end in 30 minutes.