Chapter 7

About noon Mikey started crying so I woke up right away and picked him up. I grabbed the diaper bag and took him into the kitchen. I made him a bottle and warmed it up, I gave it to him and he drank it. After he finished his bottle, I changed him and went back to go lay down. I gave him his binky and laid him on my chest. He laid on my chest and stayed asleep for about an hour.

About an hour later he woke up and started crying. I took him into the living room and tried giving him another bottle but he didn't want it, I checked his diaper and it was dry. He was starting his withdraw. His social worker said we couldn't do anything but comfort him. I slid off my shirt so I could do the skin-to-skin contact. I laid flat on my back and laid him on top of me. I rubbed his back and patted his butt trying to soothe him. Nothing worked so I stood up and still kept him on my chest, I walked around the living room and kitchen still patting his back. He cried and cried, I felt so bad because there was nothing I could do but be there for him.

"I know buddy it hurts, I know but you're going to be ok I promise." I spoke to him softly.

About an hour after him crying he finally fell asleep. I felt so bad because he was just a baby. I held him close and laid back down on the couch. I laid his blanket over him and I laid flat on my back. I fell asleep again.

I woke up around 4 and he was still asleep. I got up and checked all his stuff and updated his chart. Everything seemed ok and he slept peacefully. I laid him in his crib with the boppy and blanket. I then went back downstairs and started making breakfast since I was starving. I only got to make the eggs before I heard Mikey start crying. I went into the room and grabbed the carrier from the diaper bag. I clipped it on and placed him inside it. I gave him his binky and went back to the kitchen. I finished making breakfast while Mikey just laid on my chest and tapped me with his little hand. I went back to the room to wake up Eli.

"Babe, wake up." I shook him.

"I'm up." He sat up.

"Come eat breakfast." I went to the kitchen.

He followed me into the kitchen and kissed me good morning. He then kissed Mikey good morning and started talking to him.

"How'd you sleep?" Eli got us drinks.

"Good for the most part, Mikey woke up once because he was hungry and then he fell back asleep, he then woke up again and he wouldn't eat and his diaper was dry so he was just in pain going through a withdraw." I took a bite of my food.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" He asked.

"I don't know." I laughed.

"Wake me up next time." He smiled.

"Alright, if you say so." I laughed.

"Awe I'm sorry Mikey, you poor thing." Eli talked to Mikey.

Mikey smiled at Eli and then got shy so he nuzzled himself into my chest.

"That is the cutest thing ever." Eli smiled.

We finished our breakfast and Eli cleaned the dishes while I changed Mikey's diaper and made him a bottle.

"I can feed him and watch him so you can go get a couple more hours of sleep." Eli walked into the living room.

"You don't have to tell me twice." I took Miley out of the carrier and handed him to Eli.

I took off the carrier and placed it on the coat rack. I made sure Eli was ok and was settled with Mikey. Eli seemed ok and Mikey was eating so he was fine. I went to the room and laid back down, after I closed my eyes for a couple of minutes I fell asleep.

While I was asleep Eli cleaned the apartment. Eli had put on the carrier and cleaned while Mikey slept.

I woke up at about 6 and got up. I showered quickly and got ready for work. I then went downstairs to check on Eli and Mikey. Eli was asleep on the couch with Mikey still in the carrier, Mikey was asleep to and he looked so comfy.

"Babe." I sat down next to him.

Eli woke up after I called his name about ten times. He told me about his productive day and his 2-hour nap. He said Mikey cried a few times from the withdraw but other than that he slept the whole time. I took Mikey out of the carrier and waited for Eli to take off the carrier. I then handed him back to Eli so I could put on the carrier. I placed Mikey in the carrier. Eli went to get ready and I went into the kitchen to make lunches. I finished everything I needed to do and got Mikey ready in a new onesie. I placed him in his car seat and tucked him in so we would be ready to go when Eli finished getting ready, I also packed his diaper bag.

Eli finally finished getting ready and we grabbed our things and drove to work. Eli said bye to Mikey and me and kissed us both.

I got off the elevator, checked in, and went to the main office to see which baby I was assigned to. It said that there was a baby that would be delivered around 12 and then I would go get them around 2. I went to the nursery and scanned in. I said hi to everyone and took Mikey to his incubator. I placed him in it and put away his car seat. I was going to give him a bath so I grabbed a washcloth, a towel, some soap and turned on the water. In their first couple of baths, we only washed their hair and wiped them down with a wet washcloth. I took Mikey to the changing table and stripped his clothes. I placed him in the towel and held him, I took him to the sink and washed his hair with one hand while holding him in the other. He smiled and giggled the entire time I gave him his bath, it was the cutest thing I have ever seen. I finished his bath and got him dressed, I then gave him a bottle and put him to sleep.