A Silence Worth A Thousand Words

Start from the beginning

Jamil stood up quickly. "What did you do to him?" 

"What? I did nothing," Jade vowed. "All we did was have a nice, long talk. Right, Kalim?" 

Kalim nodded. "Yup! I showed him around the treasure vault! By the way, did you see that silver and blue carpet anywhere? I couldn't find it--"

Jamil grabbed Kalim's arm and started dragging him out of the room, his expression was...dangerous. "Let's go."

"Eh? Why?" Kalim asked. "What's wrong?"  

"It's late! Just go back to your room!" Jamil growled, pulling him away.

"S-sorry Jade!" Kalim shouted back as they left. "I'll find that carpet for you later!" 

"Alright, goodbye," Jade muttered.

Lev frowned. "That was unexpected." 

"Indeed." Azul stood up and began walking away. "Let's retreat to somewhere more private. It seems there's a lot for us to discuss." 

====Time Skip====

After walking back to their large bedroom, they made sure the door was locked and no one could eavesdrop. 

Finally, Azul said, "Well, Jade, did you have a good 'talk' with Kalim?" 

"Yes, and your hunch was correct," Jade reported. "I believe it's highly likely that Kalim is being controlled or brainwashed in some way." 

Lev sighed. "That makes sense, but who on Earth would do such a thing?"  

"Whoever it is, they have to be like, super powerful," Floyd said, taking off his hat and spinning it around his finger. "At least Azul's level. Any lower and it's not happening."

Azul nodded. "Yes, but even I would have a hard time controlling a sentient creature like a human. It's so just too much magic and concentration."

"I don't think there's anyone as good as Azul in Scarabia," Grim said. "Kalim can only create a little water with his unique magic, and Jamil said he only ever hit average on grades, so his magic probably isn't that impressive either." 

Lev brow furrowed. "I wonder..." 

Azul glanced at her. "What are you thinking, Prefect?" 

"Well, it's true that Jamil's grades have only been average, but..." she sighed. "I can't really explain it, but there's something about him that seems...off." 

"Off?" Jade repeated. "How so?"

"Perhaps I can explain," Azul offered. "I have a feeling that what you suspect about him is similar to how I first felt about you." 

Lev flinched. "Excuse me?"

Azul chuckled. "Let's just say...there might be more to him than meets the eye." He turned back to Jade. "Were you able to get a name from who might be doing this to Kalim from your 'talk'?" 

"I'm afraid not." Jade frowned.

Floyd raised an eyebrow. "Seriously? Even with your unique magic you couldn't get it out of him?"

Grim's ears perked up. "Hey, what is your unique magic, Jade? I don't think you've ever told us."

"Floyd," Jade growled, frowning disapprovingly at his twin. "I've told you not to be so careless with our unique magic. When will you listen?" 

"Now, now, Jade, I don't think it'll be so awful to tell Lev about your unique magic," Azul said. "She doesn't have any magic, so it's not like she can do anything to defend against it."

...Now I'm scared.

Floyd sighed. "Fine...I suppose it's alright. My unique magic is called 'Shock the Heart'. It allows me to force another person to speak the truth one time. Sadly, I can only use it once per person, and it's ineffective again people who have high magical resistance or is extremely wary. Because of this, I try to use it on people when they have their guard down."

Floyd grinned maniacally. "It's works super well on peeps who are scared outta their minds or sobbing their eyes out."

"That is true," Jade admitted, an equally disturbing smile growing on his face. Lev felt shivers ricochet down her back. His smile faded. "Anyway, Kalim has always been a very open and honest person, so he practically cast the spell on himself. However, when I asked him who in this school could cast hypnosis magic that he knew about, he said he couldn't say."

"But, I thought that you just said your magic forces people to tell the truth," Lev said.

Jade nodded. "It does, but it appears that Kalim is wholly devoted to keeping the secret that he claims to have kept for a long time. Even my magic couldn't make him tell me who it is." 

Azul laughed. "Incredible! It seems that you're unique magic lost to Kalim's humanity."

"It frustrates me to no end, but that is correct," Jade said.

"That's unexpected," Lev said. "Given his personality, I would've though he'd spill even the most precious secrets." 

Azul smirked. "Yes, but perhaps, his silence reveals more than enough about what's happening in Scarabia."

"What do you...." Lev muttered, then it hit her. "Oh...Oh....I see." 

"Well then," Azul clapped his hands together. "Let's come up with a plan to catch the tail hidden in the sand once for all."