May I have this dance?

Parkner week prompt 'prom' 

TW for swearing 

Peter's POV 

Shit. Prom is tonight. I can't go. Not after homecoming, I can't do that again. Ned and MJ approach me as we walk out of homeroom, Ned talks immediately.

"Dude, are you gonna go?" His voice loud but worried. MJ just smacks his arm for me and says she'll see us 'losers' later. "I was just asking..."

"I know but even though it's been a year it still, hurts, you know?" Flashes of the warehouse force their way through, the sadness on Liz's face, the burning in my lungs. I swallow thickly. 

We sit together in chemistry, trying not to get in trouble for talking. Flash throws paper balls at me, per usual, but one lands on the desk. Writing is scrawled over the crumpled page and curiosity gets the better of me, I already know what the teacher is teaching. Opening it was apparently both the right and wrong thing to do. The message was supposed to be opened but I regret reading it. Scribbled on the otherwise plain sheet says 'Penis Parker, back off the cowboy, he won't say yes to someone who will stand him up.' Ned glances at the note and turns to flip Flash off. Why would he worry about Haley? 

He came to school a few moths ago but Mr. Stark introduced us a little before that, we got on straight away. Our passions for science led to nerdy banter and a fluid conversation while working in the lab. I don't know if Mr. Stark was impressed or scared our instant friendship. MJ liked how he never backs down from quips and Ned loves how he is just as geeky as we are. I like how confident he is and the geek stuff, and how his accent sounds. I love the way his curly blonde hair falls on his face so he ties it back and how he's got this almost permanent cocky grin. I may have a crush on him, but prom isn't going to happen for me. Even if Flash somehow gets Harley to go with him of all people, I can't risk hurting him the way I hurt Liz. If he knew about Spiderman then that might have been different but that might get him hurt too. MJ and Ned knew, not because I told them. Ned saw me get back from patrol and MJ is just smart.

A hand is put on my shoulder as the first bell rings out in the halls. Ned's sympathetic smile makes me feel worse but I know he's just trying to help. In order to get to our next class, we separate in the hall and head in opposite directions. My second class is physics, with Harley. And Flash. The two are sat next to each other so I take the hint and sit somewhere else.

Harley's POV

I get to physics as quickly as possible excited to see Peter again, even though I saw him this morning; we do sort of live together now at the tower. He's a little later than normal, not running in to sit with me when he gets out of his first class. Instead I'm greeted by Flash's smug face looking down at me. This bitch. Without a second thought he sits in what is technically Peter's seat but we don't have official plans so I can't say anything. Just then, he walks in. Brunette hair flicks in his eye as he steps in, bamboo eyes in my direction. They don't have their usual shine, no, they look dull and disappointed. He shuffles quickly into a seat near him, also the furthest possible seat from me. Did I do something? 

"Why are you looking at Penis?" Ugh. Flash's snarky voice makes me want to hit him, let alone how he talks to Peter. "He doesn't like you back you know," I don't have to look to see his smirk, "he stood up his homecoming date for no reason, if you ask him to go, he'll do the same to you." Before I can object, the teacher starts wittering on. 

When they bell goes, I give my self a headache standing up so fast, I still rush over to Peter's side before Flash can talk more shit to me. Peter looks up at me slightly, smiling but not his wide grin when he normally sees any of his friends. Something is seriously wrong, I can just sense it. He gets up and nods to let me know we can head to break. He doesn't speak a word the whole time until we sit with Ned and MJ.