Ms. Kite

The morning before Ms. Kite arrived, Arvada explained that I could do any number of things. I could choose to leave the planet and seek my fortune out in the galaxy. Or I could chose to stay Sentient and work for Rock and Roll Earth either as a hotel entertainer or on the business end of things. With either of these options, of course, I would start to age normally and eventually die. 

Or, she explained, I could choose to have my memory wiped clean and re-enter the Portland Simulation Park at the next re-set.

When I asked her why I would want to do something like that, she got a funny look on her face and told me that Ms. Kite would explain. 

Kite arrived the next afternoon. She was a tall, dark-skinned woman. Her head was wrapped in a shimmering white gauze and her hourglass figure in a light blue dress made of the same material. She seemed to float across the carpet as her black eyes darted back and forth. She dismissed Arvada and introduced herself to me. 

"Let me make one thing clear before we begin," she said after pleasantries were exchanged. Her voice was rich and syrupy. She placed her bag down on coffee table. "I am not affiliated with Immersion Entertainment, nor do I condone what they do here. I am here as a representative of the Galactic Human Safeguard Commission, we ensure sentient human life is afforded proper legal protection." 

"Where were you, oh, 700 years ago?" I asked. 

"This part of the galaxy was not under standard jurisdiction at that time, or Rock and Roll Earth would have not been allowed to be constructed, but Immersion Entertainment is now well connected and has been so for a long time- so we do what we can when we can." She looked at me sternly. "I'm not going to apologize for the injustices of the universe, Mr. X, if that's what you're waiting for..." 

"Okay," I said. I kind of liked her. She reminded me a bit of Stella. "What do you want to know?" 

"I am assuming your options were explained to you," Kite said. 

"They were, but the option that I want wasn't included," I said. "I want to get Stella and get the hell out of here.." 

Kite's mouth curved towards sadness for a moment. "Well, I am afraid it's not that easy. Stella is not currently sentient under Galactic definition and is a protected asset of Immersion Entertainment. In addition, such a confrontation as you plan may not be good for her long-term mental health." 

"What about my mental health?" I asked, sounding weaker than I meant to. "Without Stella, I don't know, none of it seems worth it." 

"You sound like you are leaning toward going back to the simulation," she observed. 

I frowned. "And have my memory erased?" 

She looked at me strangely. "Well, that's what Stella did," Ms. Kite said. 

My mouth opened. "What... do you mean?" 

"They didn't tell you?" Kite frowned and looked in her bag for a moment. "I guess they aren't required to, but I thought they would during your briefing. I'm sorry for shocking you. Yes, four years ago, she woke up and escaped the Portland simulation. Lived in the Detroit 1968 Simulation for nine months before they found her. She decided, finally, to go back to the simulation to be with you rather than leave the park and be replaced." 

"I can't remember any of that..." I said. 

Kite smiled and reached into her bag. "Stella gave me this to show you, if you ever woke up without her." He reached into her bag and withdrew Stella's snow-globe. The side had cracked and the fluid inside drained out, but a few dusty rose petals still clanked around inside the glass ball.