Getting to Know Rylie

Recap: 

 I walked up my porch steps and stepped in. 

          "You should really keep your door locked. Haven't we been through this before?" Rylie said. 

     "I guess I never learn my lesson." I didn't smile at his lame attempt at a joke. 

          "Leslie, -" 

     "Don't feed me any bullshit. I'm not in the mood. I want answers and I want them now." 

          "I don't know where to start." He looked at the floor. 

     "How about the beginning?" I suggested. He smiled and sat down on the couch. 

          "Okay, it started like this," 

* * * 

Leslie Rose's Pov 

     "I'm not really new here." He started. "I've been living here for awhile actually. That Kyle guy, he doesn't like me very much." 

     I scoffed. "Really now?" I said sarcastically. He gave me a blank stare. I gestured for him to continue. 

     "Anyway," he stared pointedly at me, "Kyle has a reason to not like me. I met him once when I was out with my......friends I guess you could call them that. My friends were being horrible to him. Bullying him and all sorts of stuff." He took a breath. 

     "So wait, your "friends" were mean to Kyle? I don't get it. I mean, I knew he got picked on in school, I didn't know it happened outside of school too." I stared at him. 

     "Yeah....My friends were douches." He tried to smile, but failed. 

          "Why'd you hang out with them?" I questioned. 

    "They were there for me when no one else was. So or course, I would surround myself with them. The gang was the closest thing I had to a family. And I wanted to keep it." 

           "Ohhh.....Okay. I get it. That was the gang. I feel dumb now. Continue.." I whispered. 

      He chuckled and grabbed my hand.

     "I moved here five years ago with my older brother. My mom died a couple of years before that and I never met my dad. He split before I was born. Anyway, my brother wanted to come to a more safe enviorment. And it was safe, for a while. Eventually, I met up with James." He stopped for a moment. 

     "How old is your brother?" I asked. 

     "James is probably my best friend. He's been there with me through everything. One day we were just hanging out and he took me to meet some of his other friends. At the time I didn't know they were gang members. I just wanted more friends and I had found some. Eventually, we all got closer and they asked me to join. I said yes and just like that, I was popular." 

     I stared at him, entranced by his story. And yes, I noticed he didn't answer my question about his brother.

     He continued " I loved that dangerous feeling. I was mysterious, chicks dig that." He laughed and I smiled at him while he gathered his thoughts.

    Staring at him, I noticed something. I feel for this boy. He is my everything. He cares for me and he's never left my side. If I were about to get shot, I know he would take the bullet for me. He would risk his life to save mine.

     Slowly I came to the realization: I love this boy.  

           "Leslie?" 

     I love his smile.