Chapter 1 - The Newcomers

Start from the beginning

            The center of town consisted of the diner, a small hotel, a hardware store, a general store, a movie theater, and a small sweets shop where most of the kids hung out. Just down the road was the town church, and then, that was about it. Literally, there wasn’t much to this place. But the simplicity suited me just fine. I grabbed my key out of my pocket and opened the door to the diner, walking inside and flicking on the lights. The diner’s bar stools were already lined up—whoever closed last night must have forgotten to put them on the counters—but the bar was clean enough. I headed behind the bar—my normal station—and I grabbed a towel. I started wiping down the booths and the tables. It was opening time in a few minutes.

            Once everything was done I turned the sign on the front door from closed, to open, even though it was still a few minutes early.

            “Good morning, Liam,” Mr. Garrison said as he wobbled into the diner. I rushed towards him and lended him my arm. He was a regular customer, and a good man to talk to. He had stories that made me want to explore the world. Every morning, as soon as I open, he would be here for a cup of coffee and two eggs, sunny side up. Don’t forget the toast.

            “The normal booth, Mr. Garrison?” I asked. He smiled and nodded. Once he was seated, he knew as well as I did that he didn’t have to ask for his food. He knew that I had it covered. I headed back to the bar and turned on the coffee maker, surprised that the cook still wasn’t in.

            “I’m sorry I’m late!” Harry yelled as he burst through the front door of the diner. Harry was a year younger than me, and one of my closest friends. Everyone in town knew he was a great cook, and they didn’t doubt him just because he was young.

            “You’re fine,” I chuckled as he pulled his apron over his curls and washed his hands quickly, “Mr. Garrison wants the normal,”

            “Sounds good,” Harry said, stopping to wave to Mr. Garrison before heading back into the kitchen.

            I sat behind the bar, on my little bar stool that I used so often. From this angle, I could see everyone in the diner, and turn around to see Harry—there was a window into the kitchen. This job was basically my life. But I didn’t hate it. I didn’t think that there was anything else out there for me. This was what my life had in store.

            Little did I know, I was very wrong.

Zayn’s P.O.V.

            “You told Eleanor, what?” I screamed. Louis shifted in his seat but kept his hands on the wheel and his eyes on the road.

            “I told her I needed time to find myself,” He whimpered and then bit his bottom lip, hard enough that I was surprised it didn’t bleed.

            “Louis! You are engaged to her! Your wedding is in a month!” I yelled, becoming absolutely horrified for my best friend and his fiancé.

            “I know, I know,” He shook his head and released his bottom lip as it started to quiver. Damn it. I didn’t mean to make him cry.

            “I’m sorry, Lou,” I said softly, putting my hand on his shoulder, “I’m just really surprised and confused, that’s all,”

            “Me too,” He said. That was all it took for the tears to start. My heart felt heavy watching him cry. I thought that he had his life figured out, you know? I would have bet all of my money that him and Eleanor were going to get married, and start a family together. It’s always just what I had expected from him. When he got engaged to Eleanor, I wasn’t surprised at all. In my eyes it had always been just a matter of time. But now, I started second guessing everything. Maybe Louis was second guessing everything too.