thirty nine | ❝ just for a moment ❞

a/n : for the sake of this chapter, just pretend that Madelyn wrote the special song, and she sang it alone. also i recommend listening to the song while reading. ("Just for a Moment" by Olivia Rodrigo and Joshua Bassett)

tw : swearing

third person pov

third person pov

Christmas Eve.

It was the day of the Christmas Ball, and there were more things on Madelyn's mind than she was supposed to.

With the pressure of the show, dealing with Draco, and more, she couldn't hold herself back from breaking down.

But well. That's life.

8 : 00 AM

The Great Hall was packed with students for breakfast. Normally, some would've gone home for the holidays, but with the ball, they couldn't resist one night of fun.

The band, including Fred, George, Harry, Ginny, Pansy, Theo, Madelyn, and Leo, were sat on the Gryffindor table, chatting on and about the show.

"Okay, so I was thinking, we do this crazy ass explosion with some of our products at the end-"

"And risk the damage?" Madelyn interrupted. "Freddie, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but that might be a bit too much. The whole school is gonna be there, and I don't want to risk embarrassing myself."

The group all stared at Madelyn's words wiyh shock. She has always been fearless and ambitious, this side of her was different.

"I'm sorry did I just hear the great Madelyn Delaware admit she didn't want to be embarrassed? What happened with all the fearless and ambitious shit?" Leo questioned.

Leo and Madelyn had always been best friends, they met while Madelyn was on a trip to Canada. Turns out their parents were friends and the two indulged while their parents were talking grown up shit.

That's how Madelyn got into muggle music. Leo introduced it to her. It was like an escape from reality.

"I just, don't feel like me right now." Madelyn confessed, using her spoon to play around with her cereal.

"Oh come on girl, the show is tonight, show some energy!" Ginny encouraged, hoping it would cheer her up.

"Thanks Gin."

While all this was happening, a pair of grey eyes were staring their way from across the room.

Sat at the Slytherin table, was Draco Malfoy, alongside Blaise Zabini, who was trying to talk some sense into him.