CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

XXXV. RECENTLY ON

THE PREGNANCY WASN'T easy. Amara struggled a lot with pain and morning sickness. She struggled with having the baby too, rough contractions, a long time in labor. 

Natasha hated every second of it. they were in the hospital with Laura, who had two little kids at home with her mother. 

It brought her to tears multiple times, having the baby was really hard on her. She was crying, gripping Natasha's hand, who if she could stop all the pain. Seeing her hurting like this was the worst feeling she thought she'd ever had. 

(she was wrong)

On August 28, 2007, the world accepted a Madelyn"maddy" Romanoff-Sinclair into the world. A little baby with brown hair and beautiful brown eyes with little flecks of gold in the pockets of honey. That was one of the best feelings in the world, holding her baby. A drive home, to their baby's yellow room where so many milestones would be held. 

They got into the mother routine quickly. Natasha was Mama, and Amara was mom or mommy, and that's what they called each other when they were around the baby (which was all the time) little habits: bathtime, book, bedtime, were starting to surface too. Amara was breastfeeding for the first six months, after that Maddy was fed with formula, and slowly introduced to more solid food.

Amara and Natasha were destined to be forever. 

Their lives changed, a baby crawling, they babyproofed the apartment, and then there was a supernatural anomaly, but Natasha didn't have to deal with it like she had to deal with Tony Stark again. 

That was Coulson's job. 

Things continued as normal for a while until 2012. The beginning of a new decade and a new era of superheroes. 

Amara and Natasha were still forever

Even when Natasha came home, a bullet wound in her hip, the stitches she tried to do on her own, messy. She told Amara what happened, how the bullet went straight through her as she tried to cover a mechanic that SHEILD had her protecting. 

They got into an argument but figured it out because they were forever. 

SHEILD found something trapped in the ice, something Howard Stark tried to find. It was a large, blonde-haired man, who because of being trapped in ice for 70 years had been asleep and didn't age at all. 

"I'm not doing it," Amara told Fury when he asked her to. "Make  Coulson do it, he's a Captain America fanboy." Fury rolled his eyes at her, before asking one of the newer recruits. 

That night, Amara picked up Maddy from daycare. They came home and ordered pizza, eating it with Maddy's auntie Maddison and her husband. 

They were forever.

Two weeks later, chaos erupted. The supernatural anomaly's name was Thor, and his brother decided he wanted to take over NYC. 

Why was the question, Natasha asked it as she called Amara to get her out of the city and to take Maddy to spend time with Laura. Amara didn't love the idea, hoping and hoping that everything went well. 

Natasha called her, updating her on everything she could. 

"Clint's been compromised," She told Amara, telling her then to reassure Laura that they were doing the best they could. 

Crying over the phone she told both Amara and Laura "Coulson's dead." The hit was hard, especially to Amara who'd worked with him for a long time. She was nervous for everyone there, everyone involved. She hoped that she wouldn't lose Maria, she couldn't lose Natasha.

Maddy crawled into her lap as both Amara and Laura's eyes were glued to the TV. She asked if mama was okay, her three-year-old brain still not quite able to comprehend. She played with Amara's rose necklace as they watched the news. 

That day would go on Amara's ranking as the second-scariest day of her life. 

Maddy was growing up, she was almost four. 

The Avengers became a bigger part of her childhood after the battle of new york, her favorite being Uncle Bruce and uncle cap, who laughed at her four-year-old antics. Maddy's love for Bruce and Cap made Tony jealous, so he bought and built her things to try to win her love. With her stubbornness, she took the stuff but didn't seem to love Tony any more.

Their family had grown, and it would be forever

At five, they brought her to kindergarten, Natasha and Amara (sometimes an avenger if they were busy) drove her to school. It was a nice way to start their day. To start their day with their little girl. 

Maddy came home, excited to share pictures and excitement over making new friends. They had raised a social butterfly. She was a fast learner too, learning that people would be intrigued if one of the Avengers (specifically Tony) would drive her to school, and Tony Stark had finally won her favor. 

It was exciting. They had a family, not the family they'd quite expected. They were slowly adjusting to moving into the Avengers tower when Maddy was finished with kindergarten. They would be moved in full time when she started first grade, as the tower was closer to her school. 

Sometimes, Tony lived in Maimi but he was spending half of his time in both places. Maimi seemed to be his party place. Amara reminded Tony that he once hit on her there, and the reason she refused to go back. 

The dynamic was different, but they had built a family, no matter who it was made of. 

That family was forever. 

But forever is a long time.