CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

XXXIII

XXXIII. IN UNHOLY MATROMONY  

Hairpins may hurt, and lace may ich a bit, diamonds may reflect the light weird. The morning with champagne and orange juice, makeup and hair curls, lipgloss on toilet paper, and eyeshadow brushes. But it'll all be worth it when she walks down the aisle. 

Back up a few steps, a few days.

Apartment balcony and a fiance who just returned from a mission. A book in her hands, a kiss exchanged a conversation. Then Natasha's packing and Amara's reminiscing. 

The apartment they reside in had little memory, though it still felt a bit odd to be leaving it and coming back so different. Sure it was still them, but they had so many doors opened. 

Packing, bags, phone calls, the rest was a blur. The plane ride was not too long, though it would've been quicker if they took the quinjet (Clint couldn't stop reminding them). Then they were there. Another cab in the snow, a light dusting that kissed the trees. 

The lake would be frozen tomorrow, but neither cared. They didn't care about the snowflakes stuck in strands of hair that would be pushed away, they cared none about any of the petty things.

The night was rough, both sleeping alone was something neither of them slept well during, why they resented missions when apart. 

Amara padded across the tile floor and pulled the fabric-covered dress from her closet. She hung it on the back of the bathroom door in the bridal suite and closed the door, sliding out of her pajamas, and ran her fingers over the lace. She slid the dress on, trying her best to zip up the zipper in the back with a bobby pin. She felt beautiful in this dress, and she couldn't wait to really put it on. 

eyes closed, feather-light brush strokes and hairpins. Natasha was seated on the bathroom stool, with women fluttering around her chatting about how beautiful she was. Natasha wasn't thinking much, just accepting the prodding and waves of nerves. 

Braids, curls, heat, Amara was being prodded and poked as much as her fiance, but it was nice. She was excited, and she knew it would all be worth it in the end. Hair being pulled back into twists and curls that cascaded down to her shoulders in waves of dark streams. 

and then she was being poked and prodded into her dress, which also laced up over the zipper for a fancier look.  

Natasha was dressed and curled, prodded and poked, and finally, she was ready. Hair down, the red curs focusing on her shoulders and she felt completley etheral. 

☾☼☽ 

There's something so surreal about watching the love of your life walk down the aisle. Amara watched as Clint Barton, trying to hide the fact he was teary, walked Natasha Romanoff down the aisle, giving her away. Neither woman had a living parent, so Clint gave Natasha away to Amara. 

The ceremony started smoothly and went smoothly. The officiant was good with her words and got everyone crying. 

"My Natasha, you have been there to comfort me when I am sad, there to celebrate with me when I am excited, there to hold me when I'm feeling clingy, there at my side through rainy days, sunny days, and I would love to have you for all eternity."

"You cannot possess me for I belong to myself. But while we both wish it, I give for you that which is mine to give. You cannot command me for I am a free person."

"I pledge to you that it will be your eyes into which I smile every morning. I pledge to you my living and my dying, each equally in your care. I shall be a shield for your back, and you for mine.

"I shall not slander you, nor you to me. I shall honor you above all others, and when we quarrel, we shall do so in private, and tell no others our grievances.

"This is my wedding vow to you. This is a marriage of equals."

Amara was crying as she said these words, and Natasha was laughing through salty tears that rolled down her cheeks. She composed herself before exchanging her own vow to Amara. 

"All my life, I thought that fairytales and happy endings weren't possible. But now I'm seeing my happy ending, and I've never found one. Until I fell in love with you, I'd never been really in love, and now, I know how it feels to love someone more than anything in the entire world. 

"You cannot possess me for I belong to myself. But while we both wish it, I give for you that which is mine to give. You cannot command me for I am a free person.

"I pledge to you that it will be your eyes into which I smile every morning. I pledge to you my living and my dying, each equally in your care. I shall be a shield for your back, and you for mine.

"I shall not slander you, nor you to me. I shall honor you above all others, and when we quarrel, we shall do so in private, and tell no others our grievances.

"This is my wedding vow to you. This is a marriage of equals." 

A kiss, a sign of the name, a dance, sleep. They were married and headed back from Canada to go on a honeymoon soon. 

All that mattered were they were married. The first chapter of their life was closed, and another was opened.