38. Weak Moment

Camila spends the rest of her afternoon helping her mother clean the house and when it’s time to pick up Sofia and Aaliyah from school, Shawn is still not home. Once she brings both girls to their house, they start discussing their Halloween costumes.

 “ I know what I want to be.” Sofia announces.

 “ What are you going to be, sweetie?” Sinu asks, looking up from the clothes she’s folding on the couch.

 “ Your lung cancer.” Sofia says with a big smile.

 “ Oh, yeah?” Sinu says, already used to the things Sofia tends to say. “ Do they sell those at Walmart?”

 “ I don’t think so.” Sofia says, grabbing some soda from the fridge. “ Maybe you could make it. I want to be a lung.”

 “ Hey.” Aaliyah says. “ Can I be the other lung?”

 Sinu laughs and walks to the kitchen bar, grabbing a pen and paper before taking a seat.

 “ Well, I guess we better figure out how to make a pair of lungs.” She says as the two girls walk to her and start giving her ideas.

 “ Mom.” Camila says. “ Are you really…?”

 “ Camila, if my baby wants to be a cancerous lung for Halloween, then I’m going to make sure she’s the best cancerous, tumor-ridden lung there is.” Sinu says with a smile.

 Camila smiles back at her mother before taking a seat next to her and writing down a list of supplies they’ll need. The four of them drive to the store to buy what they’ll need and the second they’re back, Shawn pulls up in his driveway.

 “ Shawn!” Aaliyah runs across the street and grabs her brother’s hand, pulling him towards Camila’s house. “ Wait until you see this!”

 Shawn helps Camila and Sinu take the supplies out of the trunk and carry them inside.

 “ Guess what we’re going to be for Halloween?” Aaliyah asks excitedly as she stands in the kitchen with Sofia with the supplies all over the floor.

 “ Uh…” Shawn starts saying.

 “ Sinu’s cancer!” Aaliyah tells him.

 Shawn raises his eyebrows and sends Sinu a questioning look.

 “ You only live once, right?” She says.

 “ She’s letting us make the tumors for the lungs.” Sofia tells Shawn. “ You want to make one? I’ll let you make the big one.”

 “ Uh…” Shawn seems speechless once again.

 “ Sof.” Camila says. “ Shawn and Aaliyah can’t help. They’ll be out of town all weekend.”

 “ Actually.” Shawn says, helping Camila place some of the supplies over the kitchen bar. “ That was before I found out we were making lung cancer. I think we’ll have to reschedule our trip.”

 Aaliyah runs to her brother and hugs him, thanking him as Camila smiles at the cutest scene in front of her. They all start working on the customs and when it’s time to get the girl’s measurements, Camila can’t find the measuring tape.

 “ Mom, where’s our measuring tape?” Camila asks.

 “ I don’t know.” Sinu says. “ I don’t know if we have one, actually.”

 “ Shawn has one, we can use it.” Camila says. “ Shawn, do you mind getting it?”

 “ I have a measuring tape?” He asks.