23. Friends

When they enter the building of the club, Camila can’t help looking for Shawn in the crowd. Noah and Connor find them a table closer to the stage, a lot more exposed than the booth she sat in with Shawn the last time she was there. The 'sacrifice' had already performed and they were already in round one when Maisie walked to the judges table to pay for her performance.

 “ Camila, come to the bathroom with me.” Maisie says as she pulls Camila out of her chair.

 When they walk into the bathroom, Maisie backs her up against the sink and stands in front of her.

 “ Snap out of it, girl!” The blond says with her hands in Camila’s shoulders. “ We’re here to have fun.”

 Camila watches as her friend reaches for her makeup bag in her purse before meticulously fixing her makeup. No one has ever done Camila’s makeup beside her, but it feels nice to have a friend to do that for her. Maisie pulls a brush out of her purse and fixes Camila’s hair next, then steps back and smiles, admiring her work.

 “ There.” The blonde says, turning Camila to the mirror.

 Camila’s jaw drops to the floor when she looks at her reflection in the mirror. Her bangs are pulled into a french braid that hangs loose down her shoulder and the soft amber hue of eyeshadow brings out her chocolate eyes. Her lips are defined, but not too colorful, and she can’t deny the fact that she looks pretty.

 “ Wow.” Camila whispers, reaching for her hair with her hands. “ You have a gift, Maisie.”

 “ I know. Twenty-nine brothers and sisters in nine years, you’re bound to learn a few tricks.”

 Maisie pulls her out of the bathroom and they head back to their table, but as they approach their seats, Camila stops. The blonde stops too since she’s holding Camila’s hand, following her gaze to see Jake and Shawn at their table.

 “ Looks like we have company.” Maisie says, winking at her. She tries to pull Camila forward, but she doesn’t move.

 “ Maisie, it’s not like that.” Camila whispers. “ I don’t want you thinking it’s like that.”

 “ I don’t think anything, Camila.” Maisie says, turning back to look at her. “ But, if it really isn’t like that, it would explain the obvious tension between you two.”

 “ It’s only obvious to you.” Camila says.

 “ And that’s how it shall remain.” Her friend says, pulling her towards their table.

 When they reach the table all four pairs of eyes land on Camila and she feels like running away from that place.

 “ Damn, girl!” Jake says. “ You look good.”

 Connor glares at Jake before smiling at Camila.

 “ Maisie got hold of you, did she?” He wraps his arm around Maisie’s waist and pulls her to him, leaving Camila standing there by herself.

 Noah pulls a chair for her and she takes it, glancing up at Shawn just in time to see him give her a half smile. She knows what it means. He thinks she looks pretty.

 “ Alright, we’ve got four more performances for round one.” The guy at the stage says on the microphone. “Next goes by the name of Maisie. Where is she?”

 Maisie gives Connor a quick peck on the lips before reaching for his guitar that he brought for her to perform. She walks with confidence to the stage, smiling as they all take their seats and Camila ends up seated between Jake and Shawn.