Year Five, Day Forty-Eight

Cait Sith POV

It's been hours since we first entered the temple. According to my calculations, it should be just past midnight. Somehow, it hasn't felt very long to me. I guess when you are surrounded by such wonder, time just seems to slip away.

Cloud is standing by the pedestal with the temple replica. Aerith and Sam are with him. I do feel awful for what I did, but it can't be helped.

"There's something written here on the pedestal," Cloud points out, leaning in close in order to read it. "Bla...Black...Black Mater...Black Materia!"

That can't be the Black Materia! It looks nothing like a materia!

"I don't understand. How can this be the Black Materia?" Sam inquires, sheathing her blades and examining the pedestal.

"Let me ask the Cetra lingering here, maybe they'll explain to us," Aerith suggests. She closes her eyes and clasps her hands together as if she's praying. After a few minutes, she opens them again. "I see...this entire temple...it's the Black Materia. This whole place."

"How is that even possible?"

The beautiful girl in pink steps up to the temple replica. "This model here is a puzzle. Each time you solve a part of it, the temple itself will shrink."

"If that's the case, whoever is solving the puzzles will get crushed, right?" Cloud theorized, frowning.

"Could we just leave it here?" Sam asks. "I mean, if we can't get it out without being crushed, neither can Sephiroth."

"No, we have to get it out. All those guys in black cloaks are Sephiroth's flunkies. It would be nothing to Sephiroth to let them be killed if it meant he could get what he wanted."

"Oh...right..."

The realization of what I must do dawns on me. It's so obvious. Plus, it might even help me get back in their good books a little. 

"I'll do it!" I announce.

The three of them whirled around in sync, surprise on each of their faces. Cloud was the first to speak, "geez, I completely forgot this sack of shit came with us."

"I did, too," the girl with silver-hair adds, a small scowl on her face.

"Mr. Cait Sith, what was it you just said?" Aerith asks softly.

I step forward a bit. "I said I'd do it. I'll solve the puzzle once all of you are outside. This isn't my real body, so no one would actually get harmed. It's simple really."

"I have no objections," Sam states without hesitation, arms crossed over her chest. 

The ex-soldier follows suit. Aerith, however, hesitates. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Absolutely. It's the best solution to this problem."

With sorrow on her face, she nods. "Alright. If you really are sure, then we'll leave it to you."

------------------------------------

Cloud POV

I didn't expect Cait Sith to volunteer so quickly. I bet he's just trying to get back on our good side. If he can actually manage to solve the puzzle and get us the Black Materia, I might hate him a tiny bit less. 

"Cloud, do you have a phone?" the robot cat asks me just as we're heading out

"Yeah, I do," I answer, pulling the small communication device out of my pocket.

"Let me give you my number so you can call me when you are all safely out of the temple."

"Right."

After he enters his number into my phone, I take it back and head towards the room's exit where Aerith and Sam are waiting. Sam's face is hard and unreadable, and Aerith glances sadly back at Cait Sith once before we leave. I know this is the best solution. Like the pseudo-cat said, this way, no one has to get hurt. 

------------------------------------

Sam POV

Ghosty leads us back out of the temple. For some reason, it seems faster going out than going in. When we finally reach the entrance room, Tseng is gone. The only reminder of him being there is the blood stains on the ground. 

It's dark outside when we step out into the open. How long have we been in there for? The stars overhead are so bright and clear. For the strangest reason, I'm suddenly reminded of all the times Zack and I watched the stars when we were little. Why am I just now thinking about that? This isn't the first time I've seen the stars since I got all my memories back.

"Sam, are you okay?" Aerith asks, drawing me out of my thoughts.

"It's so strange. Just now, looking at the stars, I thought of the times Zack and I would watch them when we were little back in Gongaga. I wonder why now of all times, I think of that," I respond softly. 

She wraps an arm around me. "The stars are very pretty tonight. Growing up in Midgar, I never saw them as a kid...well, we should probably put some distance between us and the temple. Who knows what will happen once it starts to shrink."

Cloud, Aerith, and I carefully make our way back down the hundreds of huge stairs. As we're crossing the bridge back towards where the rest of the team is waiting, Cloud calls Cait Sith to let him know he can start solving the puzzles. In only a few minutes, the ground begins to rumble, causing the bridge to swing violently. 

"Probably not a good idea to have called him while we were on the bridge!" I shout at my boyfriend, clutching the rope railings as hard as I can. Since we're closer to the side with the temple, we slowly make our way back the way we came.

"Yeah, you're right, it was pretty dumb of me," Cloud admits once we're safe on solid ground. Another tremor rocks the earth. "Woah, is it just me or does the temple really look a lot smaller."

"Holy..." I murmur in bafflement. The temple has shrunk to the size of an average residential house. "It really is shrinking..."

More quakes come and rubble starts falling. A few cracks open up in the ground, but none are big enough for too much worry. By the time the dust completely settles and all becomes still once more, the sun is starting to peek over the horizon. By its pale morning light, we can all see the humongous crater left where the temple once stood.

Cloud helps me to my feet. "No time to waste, we have to get down there and find the Black Materia before Sephiroth comes back."

"I think I see a path down," Aerith informs us, pointing at a staircase built into the side of the huge pit. "This should lead right down to the bottom."