Year Five, Day Forty-Four Part 2

Cloud POV

Everyone else has gone up to bed, so I'm on my own here in the lobby. My mind is working hard to figure what we should do next. Everyone is looking to me to lead, after all. 

We have the Keystone. I got it from Dios. I think it has something to do with the Temple of the Ancients. That's were Rufus is going, and I have a strong feeling Sephiroth will be there, too. Ultimately, that's were we have to go, but where is it? Up north, most likely.

"Cloud?"

Cress, I mean, Sam's voice stirs me from my thoughts. She's coming down the stairs, wrapped in her cloak with the hood low over her face. Once she reaches the floor, she comes over to sit next to me.

"You looked deep in thought. What were you thinking about?" she asks, sliding one of her small hands into my bigger gloved one.

"Our next course of action. We'll go north and find the Temple of the Ancients before Rufus and Sephiroth," I answer, bringing her hand up to my lips. "Anyways, I thought you went up to bed."

She sighs. "I did, but I couldn't sleep. There's...there's something I need to talk to you about, but I don't know exactly how to tell you."

"You can tell me anything, Sam. I'll always listen."

Sam looks around the lobby apprehensively. "Let's go to the gondola. It would be more private."

"Alright, let's go."

------------------------------

Sam POV

Sitting in the gondola again, I'm reminded of the first time we were here. Cloud and I sat in here just like this. Here is where we admitted to each other of our feelings and started our relationship. I hope our relationship doesn't break here as well.

"So, what did you need to tell me?" Cloud asks, leaning forward in his seat to close the distance between us.

I look down at my hands which are twisting into knots out of anxiety. "You know I regained all my memories when I went to Gongaga, right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, you see...I...I had a boyfriend...five years ago...before all this happened..."

"I'd be kind of surprised if you didn't. You're kind and beautiful and smart and powerful. What man wouldn't fall in love with you on sight," he says with a small smile, taking my hands in his. "Don't worry, I'm not mad."

I pull away, wanting to curl into myself, but I don't want to hide this from him any longer. "You...you don't understand...he...he worked for ShinRa..."

"Oh."

"But...he wasn't just anyone...he...he..."

I take several deep breathes. My body is shaking now. I'm so scared to tell him the truth, but I know I have to.

Cloud moves over to sit next to me, wrapping me in his arms. "Take as long as you need to tell me, Sam. I won't force you to tell me."

"Thank you, Cloud..." I murmur as I lean into him, trying to build up my confidence and calm myself down. After a few more minutes, I manage to say, "he was in SOLDIER."

"SOLDIER?"

"Yeah. 1st Class."

Cloud shifts slightly. "That can't be right. Sephiroth and I were the only 1sts back then."

Sitting up, I look straight into his beautiful Mako eyes. "Cloud...my boyfriend...he...he was..."

Realization dawns in those eyes of his. "Sephiroth."

I nod, eyes misting up. "I...I...I'm sorry...I should've told you sooner...I just...I didn't know how...I didn't know how you'd react, and I was scared you'd hate me..."

He pulls me close again. "I don't hate you. He wasn't always like this. Sephiroth and I...we were friends before the Nibelheim Incident. I love you, Sam, and nothing will ever change that."

Several loud explosions startle us both. Looking out the window, we see that someone has let off a bunch of fireworks. Their so bright and colorful. Overcome with emotion, I turn and kiss Cloud. He kisses me back.

When we pull apart, I smile at him. "I love you, too, Cloud. Thank you...thank you for understanding. This Sephiroth is no longer the one either of us knew back then, so let's stop him together."

"You're right. We'll beat him for sure."