Year Five, Day Fifty-two

Sam POV

Blades drawn, I stand guard over Aerith as she kneels on the platform in the center of an underground lake. She's been like this since late last night when we arrived here. It looks like she's praying, but to who?

I look over the strange empty buildings around the shore of the lake. If anyone comes to try and stop whatever Aerith is doing, I'll protect her to my last breath. I won't let anyone hurt her.

I sense something in the air after a while and movement amongst the buildings catch my attention. My grip on the hilts of my swords tightens as I scan the structures. Then, I catch sight of a familiar spikey blond head and relax.

"Cloud," I breath, relieved. He, Tifa, and Barret are making their way through the buildings toward us.

That's when I feel it. The same feeling I felt in the temple before Sephiroth appeared. He's here! He's here to stop Aerith!

"Sam! Aerith!" I hear Cloud call out as he reaches the large stepping stones that lead up to the platform. He starts to jump across toward us. I want to go to him, but something tells me that I shouldn't leave Aerith here on her own.

"Cloud..." I say softly when he reaches the platform and starts up the stairs to where we are. Then, he stops and clutches his head. He shakes it once like he's trying to clear it. "Cloud? What's wrong?"

He doesn't answer and continues up the steps, drawing his large sword.

"Cloud, what are you doing?"

There's a strange look on his face, and his eyes are glazed over like he's in some kind of trance. I get the feeling that I've seen him like this before, but I can't remember when. All I know is that it scares me.

I step up to block his path to Aerith. "Cloud, snap out of it!"

"Sam! Be careful!" I hear Tifa shout as she, too, begins to make her way across with Barret right behind her. "It's Sephiroth! He's controlling Cloud!"

Controlling Cloud!? How!? I think wildly. That's when he strikes. I dodge out of the way, but his sword manages to nick my left leg a little. Fear is pumping through my veins. I can't fight Cloud! I don't want to hurt him!

He swings his blade at me again, and I fall back to the ground, pain searing up from the bleeding wound in my leg. Looking up into his face, I don't see Cloud at all. All I see is cold impassiveness. Just like Sephiroth.

Frozen, my body refuses to move. All I can feel is terror as he raises his sword to end my life. Say something, do something! Come on, please! Cloud! Please!

"Cloud! Stop it!" Tifa cries, now at the bottom of the stairs. 

"Snap out of it, Cloud!" Barret yells, too.

His eyes go wide and lock on mine as he stumbles back, sword clattering to the ground. He again clutches his head. "Ugh...what...what was I just doing!? How could you make me do that!?"

-------------------------------

Aerith POV

Opening my eyes, I look out on the scene before me. Sam is on the ground in front of me, blood seeping out from a wound on her leg. She's trembling violently, eyes locked on Cloud. The blond is standing at the top of the stairs, staring at his own hands in horror. I understand instantly. Sephiroth must have controlled him again to attack us!

"Sam..." I whisper, reaching out to her.

She looks around at me, terror and shock still on her face and tears in her beautiful blue eyes. "A-Aerith..."

That's when I hear a whooshing sound from above. I start to look up just as I feel a blade sink into me from behind. Everything seems to freeze for a moment.

Sephiroth.

"AERITH!!" Sam screams, catching me in her arms when I slump forward after the long thin sword is withdrawn from me.

Already, dark blood is staining my pink dress. But, it's not so bad. I did it. It's ready to use. The White Materia, Holy. They can stop him now that I did my part.

"Aerith, stay with us, please," my best friend utters, face soaked in tears. "Cure...where's your Cure materia? Please...you have to tell me where it is..."

I shake my head and smile sadly up at her. "I'm sorry, Sam. It's too late."

"No..Nonono...please, we have to try..."

"This...this can't be real," Cloud murmurs above us. 

"Don't worry, she'll soon be one with the Planet," Sephiroth sneers. "All that's left is to head North to where the Promised Land awaits."

The Promised Land...you don't get it do you?...Sephiroth...you'll never find the real...real...real Promised Land...I know...I have...

-------------------------------

Cloud POV

"There, I will become one with the Planet-"

"Shut the hell up!" I growl, interrupting him. "I don't give a damn about the life-cycle and your stupid plan. You hurt Aerith, and that's something I'll never forgive you for! Thinking of her being gone...it's a pain I can hardly stand."

The silver-haired man standing on the other side of Sam and Aerith laughs humorlessly. "Oh please, are you telling me that you have feelings now?"

"Of course! What do you think I am!?"

"Stop acting like you're sad and angry. It's pitiful to watch," he scoffs, rising into the air. "Because, Cloud, you are..."

Then, out of nowhere, a kunai buries itself in arm.

All eyes fall to Sam, another throwing knife in her free hand while the other is wrapped protectively around Aerith's limp form. An energy of pure hatred is rolling off her in great waves. "Sephiroth...I swear here and now that I will end your life, no matter the cost."

He just smirks. "I'd like to see you try."

Then, he's gone, just like that.

"Sam," I whisper, feeling drained. I start towards her, but I hesitate, catching sight of the wound in her leg that I caused. To my surprise, it's already starting to heal itself. Her regenerative powers are even greater than mine!

"Aerith's gone," I hear her mumble. "She's gone..."

Her small form begins to shake with sobs as she clutches Aerith closer to her. My eyes burn and my chest aches as I try to contain my own overwhelming feelings. This is my fault. If I hadn't let Sephiroth control me, Sam wouldn't have gotten hurt, and we could've protected Aerith better. It's all my fault.

The end of Sephiroth's sentence before Sam attacked him forms in my mind:

'Because, Cloud, you are a puppet.'