Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

Instead of arguing with her, I shake my head and sit beside her on the couch. "Come here," I prop one leg up on the couch so she can sit between my legs. I gently, yet firmly, massage her back and shoulders. "I could help you; you know. Wash and shave and cook your food" I can hear her swallow and feel her tense up a bit. I still make her nervous. Good. 

She licks her lips, "no. You can't" clearing her throat, she speaks more assertively, "you don't live here."

"I brought a house."

She turns abruptly, as abruptly as she can with the twin belly, and give me evil eyes. "We can't live together!"

"We can. At least—"

"Yeah. Yeah. Until they're five, then what? Ruin their routine and me struggle to get a new one? You don't think I'd get content and settled into our play family?" she snaps at me. I fully anticipated this.

"Cheese, my kids will have the best. A house, with a yard and however many pets they want. We both need each other. I'll have clinicals and then residency and you'll have law school. Then you'll be at the firm. I want to see my kids as much as I can and the best way to do that and help each other and have a healthy schedule is to live together" I tell her. I can see those tear ducts working and maybe I was a little too aggressive in how I said it, but I'm tired of going back and forth about this. 

"Ignore the tears. I'm not sad, that's just a new reflex. I told you that I'm trying to work out my feelings before we get into anything serious. That I want to focus on being good parents" she sniffles. "Crap! Ignore the tears and my shaky voice, okay. Take me seriously, Daxton."

"I do take you seriously."

"I don't trust myself" she sighs. "I'm a vampire, Daxton. Even right now, that's why I'm crying. It's what I do when I crave...blood"

I tried. I really did, but I can't help laughing. She purses her lips and smacks my arm "sorry. But Cheese... what are you trying to tell me? You crave my blood? That's a bit drastic don't you think?"

"Ugh" she rolls her eyes at me. "You forgot. Well, that makes it a little less embarrassing, right. Don't have to worry about rejection because I'm fat and swollen and hideous. Nope. You just forgot about me." She wipes at her face as I try to piece together what she's talking about. "The house makes sense. With our schedules and stuff"

"Good. That's not why I'm here, though. Back when we were together, I planned this getaway in Aspen. I know that's too couple-y and don't worry, I'm done pushing the couple thing. So, I invited our friends to come along. I think Maya and Heather need a little vacation, being cooped up with the babies for. I mean, they'll bring their babies seeing as though their only two months old, but I think we all need this" I explain to her.

"Sure" she doesn't sound happy about the idea. "You're right. Gen's been stressed trying to get pregnant anyways. We all need a break"

"Don't go if you feel forced" I offer her a way out. I know she's tried; I wouldn't be mad if she just wanted to relax for her birthday. 

She takes in a deep breath, "you'd go without me? On my birthday?" I think she's teasing, so I go with it. 

"I don't know... I could use a vacation from you" I smile at her and head back to her bedroom to pack. "We have to leave in two days, so I'll help you pack while I'm here."

***

"You're hot... like super-hot. You have a fat Meg Thee Stallion booty, like...just hot" some scrawny teenager is flirting with Brielle as we check into the resort. Does he not notice her pregnant belly? I mean, her stomach is the largest thing on her and it can be hard to tell when looking at her face to face.