Chapter Four

Brielle~ Still April: Day After the Wedding

"Get up, Brie! Let's go for a run" my mother yanks open the curtains to my old bedroom, allowing the bright sunshine to blind me. I groan, sit up and sure enough, the view across the two-acre field is still the same. I can see straight onto his balcony and into his room. He could see mine just as perfectly, if he still lived at home. When we were younger, our mothers told us that they designed the houses to mirror each other so that we'd feel connected, even at a distance. Rosemary used to say that even in the womb, we'd stir at night—kicking like crazy—until she and Mama linked back up. Apparently, that told them that we were destined for each other.

"Really, Mama?" I glance over my mother in her Fabletics workout tights and sports bra, Venti Iced Caramel latte from Starbucks—no doubt with two extra shots, and wild curls in a top bun. My mom is still hot, six kids later and you'd never know. Brooklyn and I don't get our curves from our mother because my mom doesn't really have any. I mean, she has a great figure, she actually looks like Nia Long in the 90s. I think we get our curvy figures from Aunt Olivia and Grandma Dorothy.

"Yes, really! Hurry because Brook's meeting us there before her exam later today" she exits the room just as quickly as she came. I take a quick shower, brush my teeth, throw on a pair of black leggings that accentuates my booty, a red and white cropped hoodie and put my curly 4a hair into a high pony. Thankfully, when I get downstairs, my mom has a matching Starbucks latte waiting for me.

"All the kids left for school already?" I ask as we get in the car.

"Yep, all except Benson. He's been schooling virtually while he attends that fancy football training camp. Liv says it's great for future pros, and I know she's in the sports agency biz and everything; but I just hate the message we're sending him" mama responds, her southern accent just as heavy as ever.

"You think it shows that sports are more important than an education?" I ask

"Yes! That's exactly how I feel. Your daddy thinks it's a great opportunity and he promises that it has nothing to do with guys and sports and all that jazz." She shakes her head disapprovingly, "but... I don't know, Brie. You know how men are."

"Well, Mama, you and daddy teach us to prepare for the future. To do what we can to get a head start on our goals" I offer, which she doesn't really like.

"Brielle Theresa Jameson, don't you lawyer me. Now you know, professional football would be great, but it's no career. Not for my baby. Not the only career at least. You know I teach all of y'all to have career plans A through Z plus double. What if he gets hurt or injured? Oh, and what about all these studies being done on the side effects of football, huh?" I can't help smiling to myself. I haven't really been home, but that never stopped my home from coming to me. Mom and I just had this conversation a month ago, over brunch in the city before Ben left. Ben and daddy warned me that she'd won over Brook with her objections and just needed me on her side for a tied vote.

Brook and I are nearly ten years older than Bryson and Benson, and nearly fifteen years older than the twins: Braylen and Blake. Since we are so much older than them, we sort of mother our siblings and our parents often include us in on some of the parenting decisions. I think it started because Mama would often overshare her side of the story and I'm very tightly bonded with my dad. Not that she needed our help, but sometimes daddy can be really stubborn on things. It helps to have multiple people point out the flaws in something......sometimes.

I treat all my siblings as if they were my own children; the twins don't have as strong a bond with me as my other siblings because I was out a lot when they were younger. They have stronger ties to Brook than they do with me, she's been home with them more. By the time they were born, I was traveling a lot with my dad, Mr. Jameson, and my friends. I'd been hanging out with my friends more and started dating. To be honest, I was just like every other teenager, selfish and obsessed with my own insignificant but totally life-ruining drama.