Chapter Thirteen

TRIGGER WARNING: Domestic Violence Scene!!!

Daxton~ June

"Hey Gramps!" I call to my grandfather; he looks up from the front porch and waves. My grandmother walks out to the front yard with a pitcher of iced tea and three glasses. I walk around the other side of the car and open the door for Brielle. We walk around Grams' flower garden in the front of their luxurious million-dollar home, Brielle super excited to see my grandparents again. She stops in front of the daisies, and compliments my grandmother on her hard work. My grandparents absolutely love Brielle and all the Jamesons. Actually, my mother and Vanessa Jameson grew up together—sort of. Vanessa's mother and my grandmother both grow up in Georgia, they lived next door to each other. 

My grandmother moved when she met my grandfather in college. She'd take occasional trips to visit her family down south, my grandfather really loves southern traditions. That's probably one of the reasons he hates my father, that and the fact that he leaned on and leached off my mother for the first ten years of marriage. He was starting up the company with Theo, with Theo putting up most of the money. He asked my gramps for several huge loans, most of them spent on get rich quick schemes. He was stealing my money from my mom for years. She had no idea until conversations of me going to college started coming up. Needless to say, Gramps hates my father and thinks he's not a real man. 

"DJ! Oh, honey what a lovely surprise! He brought Brielle!" my Grams exclaims running to Brielle before hugging me. 

"Of course! I couldn't miss your 65th wedding anniversary!" Brielle responds. 

"Hey there, baby girl!" Gramps hugs her. I stand and patiently wait my turn. "Couldn't believe you took this fool back."

"Oh hush, Richard! It warms my heart to see you two together again. You know, DJ told us about you reuniting the moment it happened" Grams wraps her arm around Brielle's shoulder and leads her into the house. 

"Cool it, Martie! You might run the girl off. He didn't call the moment Brielle, that would've blown his cover with his other girlfriend" Gramps called after them. 

"Thanks Gramps" I laugh, finally hugging him. 

"Bet not! I still got my side bae on speed dial" Brielle jokingly called back. 

Satisfied with the conversation, Gramps gestures for me to take a seat in the porch chair beside him. I already know what he has in mind to talk about. This weekend is going to be very interesting, all of my family and the Jamesons are coming to celebrate my grandparent's anniversary. Even Brie's grandma Dorothy and Aunt Liv are coming for the big event. The others are going straight to the lake house in Vermont, but Gramps wanted to talk with me without my dad around. Grams also wanted to catch up with Brie since she disappeared from everyone's lives except Gen. Gen's too loyal to let someone she truly loves disappear. 

My grandfather isn't a man of many words, honestly, the only man in my family who is would be Declan. The rest of us mostly communicate through facial expressions and grunts. Brielle's and my sisters are probably the only women I open up with—my sisters include the Jameson girls. Trying to not talk to Braylen and Blake will always fail, their just too cute and perceptive. Brooklyn, well she's just as much my little sister as Raelynn is. Brook comes to me a lot for advice and guidance, not sure when our relationship got that way, but it did. I enjoy Brook, she really was there for me when Brielle and I broke up, a true ray of sunshine. 

"So, how have things been so far?" Gramps starts the conversation. 

"Been good Gramps. Brielle and I haven't had much time alone since she lives with her parents, but we're taking it slow anyway. The first year of Med School went great, I aced most of my exams. There was one I barely passed, but it's a pass, right?"