18: Coffee and Cookies

I was able to complete most of my coursework from my quiet apartment. Occasionally, I had to go to the campus for projects, structural tests, and environmental readings. It was an hour drive from home and though it was an easy drive, I realized that I was not a fan of driving by myself for that long. I was constantly finding myself singing as loud as I could to avoid the silence that surrounded me in that tiny vehicle.

A few months after working for my dad on a Friday morning, I was waiting at the coffee shop to pick up the coffee and cookies for the guys at work. While waiting in line, I was thinking about the campus work I had to do the following week and the car ride to and from campus. I wondered if I could manage to talk to Rocky at all on at least one of the trips when, unexpectedly, someone bumped into me. I opened my mouth while turning around, to apologize but my breath escaped me as soon as I looked at the person.

"Oh. I am so sorry miss. I don't know what happened there," the stranger politely said to me as he glared back at a small group of guys who were trying their bests to hold in their laughter.

"That's alright," I replied shyly, "I'm fine." I smiled and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Eliotte." I heard the barista call my name to let me know my order is ready.

"Oh, uh. That's me," I said to him awkwardly, turning to pick up my order. He gave me a puzzled look.

"Really?"

"Yep," I said with a soft chuckle. "It's a combination of my parents' names."

"Ahh. I see," he said with a smile. "Well, I'm Bryant. It's nice to meet you, Eliotte," he added as he held out his hand for a handshake.

"Nice to meet you, too, Bryant," I replied, reaching my hand out to shake his. As soon as our hands touched, my stomach became nothing but a field full of butterflies.

"That looks like a big order, would you mind if I helped you carry it out?" Bryant asked.

"Umm. Sure," I responded, a little surprised that this stranger would offer to help carry a box of coffee and cookies. "I mean, I wouldn't mind," I added to clarify what I meant.

"It's the least I could do after I bumped into you," he said as if he could read my mind.

"Oh, yes. I had already forgotten about that." I smiled as I replied. We walked up to the counter together. He grabbed the giant box of coffee as I grabbed the cookies and then the door as we headed out to my car.

"This is me," I told him as we neared my little silver Corolla. I unlocked the car and opened the back door for him to place the coffee down.

"Thank you for your help," I said as he placed the box of coffee on the floor.

"Sure. Anytime." Bryant replied with a kind smile that lit his gorgeous green eyes.

"Um, I am new in town and wondering if you could help me out." He said, still standing confident though his voice sounded a little shy.

"Um...maybe," I replied hesitantly.

"I was looking for Romick Construction. I was hoping you could point me in the right direction."

"Oh...umm. Yes." I said as my mind raced in about one hundred different directions. "Just take this street here until the second light. Turn left and continue until you see the sign on the right. You can't miss it."