3: The Dance

After the dessert was cleared away, the dance began. The bass from the speakers was making my chest vibrate with each beat. I was beginning to feel like I couldn't breathe, which made me feel like I was on the verge of a panic attack.

"Are you ready to head to the back of the gym?" Stevien asked bringing me out of the moment of panic that was threatening to envelop me.

"Oh, my knight in shining armor." I feigned a faint as I brought the back of my hand to my forehead.

"Milady, please allow me to escort you away." He said in his best British accent, bowing slightly while holding out his hand.

I laughed and accepted his hand.

"My dear sir, I accept your assistance." I replied before quietly adding: "That was the worst accent I have ever heard."

"What?" Stevien yelled at me as the next song began, this time with even stronger bass and vibrations coming from the speakers.

I simply shook my head, trying my best to not let the vibrating feeling in my chest get to me. Stevien, seeing my quick change in tune, quickly escorted me to the farthest table away from the speakers. We sat down once we got there. He was acting like a gentleman as he pulled out the chair for me. However, as soon as I was seated, he grabbed two chairs and sprawled out between the two.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Hmm?" was the reply I received.

"How can you go into a food coma now? Isn't the music too loud for you to sleep?" I asked.

"Nah. I am just getting comfortable. I don't know how long a reasonable time is to stay at something like this. I really don't like being so dressed up. It makes me uncomfortable."

"Well, if it makes it any better, I think that you clean up nicely," I said with a smile.

"Thanks," he said before he turned to look at me. I expected it to be a sarcastic "thanks" but the sincere look on his face had my heart beating faster.

"And speaking of cleaning up nicely, El. Who knew my little tomboy El could look like this?" he pointed to me and smirked. "I mean. I knew you were athletic, but I have never seen you in anything outside of Bermuda shorts and t-shirts or softball uniforms."

My face went as red as a ripe tomato.

"I am honestly not sure how to take that," I replied. "Should I take it as a compliment or a sarcastic remark?"

"Oh gosh, El!" He said, trying to get out of the reclining position between the two chairs, fumbling miserably but finally able to sit up in one chair. "No, no. I was trying to compliment you." He said, rubbing the back of his head, looking at me shyly. "I guess I am just terrible at it." He chuckled as his cheeks turned ever so slightly pinkish.

"Okay, compliment it is then," I said with a smile.

"Good," he replied, smiling back.

"By the way, El, how are you doing? Are you still okay being here?"

"Oh, you know..." I paused and he gave me the "go on" look, so I continued.

"This prom is not my cup of tea. I would rather be up on my roof, watching the stars." I said looking down at my feet, trying desperately not to wring my hands completely off my arms.

All of a sudden, I was pulled up, straight out of my chair, only to be met by a brick wall.

"Oops! Sorry, El. I wasn't expecting you to fly out of the chair so easily," the brick wall said with a laugh.