Chapter 4: Snoggletog

A/N: Gift of the Night Fury was on my mind and I hope you guys like this fluffy, yet sweet chapter.

(Normal pov)

Once again, Snoggletog had arrived and the people of Scandinavia were eager to celebrate the annual holiday that marked the end of another year. For the people of Berk, they realized that because of Stoick's sacrifice and Hiccup's actions in leading the Viking people against Drago's army, they could celebrate yet another Snoggletog and look to the future with hope and fruition.

The Hairy Hooligans were all up and about, decorating their home which was now fully restored, with Snoggletog decorations. And of course, this time of the year also meant the dragons needed to leave to their nesting ground and have their babies. It was never easy to say goodbye to their dragons, but the Hairy Hooligans knew that they'd return later that evening. And so, after saying farewells and giving affection to their dragons, the Hairy Hooligans watched as their dragons awaited their alpha to lead the way.

"Toothless! Would you hold still?" Hiccup laughed out as he was in the process of attaching yet another prosthetic tail fin for the Night Fury, just like the one he had made for Toothless during their first Snoggletog. Now able to fly on his own, Toothless pranced excitedly and pressed his head against Hiccup's belly while warbling out excitedly. "Your welcome, bud. It's the least I can do," The Hooligan chief then unfastened the saddle on the Night Fury and smiled. "Now get going, King of Dragons. Lead the others to the nesting grounds." Nodding, Toothless let out a roar to the other dragons and soon all of them were in the air and departed for the time being. Once the dragons were out of sight, Hiccup pursed his lips and then felt a hand on his shoulder.

"About that time of the year again, eh?"

Chuckling lightly, Hiccup turned to Gobber and nodded. "I just... I don't know, wish that Toothless wasn't alone," he then shrugged. "Five years since we get to watch our dragons leave to have babies, and every time Toothless comes back without a mate. I'm afraid he really is the last Night Fury."

"Maybe the gods will bless your dragon this year, who knows," Gobber said with a shrug. "Besides, you shouldn't feel too bad lad, we all know dragons as rare as Toothless were hunted to the brink of extinction by the likes of Viggo Grimborn or anyone else in the Dragon Hunter trade. It's unfortunate, but Toothless has you. True, you aren't his mate, but you are bonded and as long as that's the case, he will never be alone."

Smiling at his blacksmith mentor, Hiccup patted Gobber's back. "You're right," once more looking to the sky, the Hooligan chief smiled lightly. "I just hope that one day, the gods will bless Toothless with a mate." Letting out a sigh, Hiccup then turned to Gobber and raised a questioning eyebrow. "How are decorations coming along?"

"Ha! The tree is all but done, everybody has finished decorating their huts, and we're about to begin preparing our feast," the old blacksmith then gave the young chief a grin. "And when do you plan on marrying Astrid, eh? You two have been betrothed since the days of Dragons Edge, and yet you've yet to seal the deal. Have you two set a day to enter a proper Viking marriage yet?"

"We have actually," Hiccup replied with a smile. "The week after Snoggletog. That should give our people more than enough time to take down the holiday tree, decorations, and to sleep off the food and ale they've devoured."

"Aye, a good plan, chief. I'm looking forward to seeing you finally marrying off that spitfire," Gobber then looked to the massive statue of Stoick by the Great Hall. "If Stoick were still among us, you know who thrilled he would be to have you not only taking your rightful place as chief but being married to one of our best shield maidens."

Nodding, Hiccup looked to his father's statue and smiled lightly. "It was a subject he'd talk about frequently while he was still alive," the young chief stated. "But I know he'll witness me taking Astrid as my wife in Odin's halls along with the rest of the Æsir in Valhalla."