"No." Logan barked, irritation seeping through. 

Caleb was their mother's son. Logan on the other hand was raised to be a copy of their fierce father. He wasn't allowed a childhood. While his younger brother played with friends and flirted with girls, Logan was training through blood and tears or helping his father with pack matters. 

Their mate had just requested something that went against everything his brother was taught. Men take care of their family, women take care of pups - it had been the principle this pack stuck to for ages. 

If there was a person that was capable of swaying things, it might be their little firecracker. 

"Women will not be training. They have pups to attend to. And you, mate, will have children to worry about as well." Logan raised from the couch, done with this negotiation. 

Mariana followed the suit, anger flickering in her gaze. "Listen here, you sexist baboon-" 

Where the fuck is popcorn, this is gonna be good. Caleb shifted in his seat, beyond entertained and eager to see the scene unfold. 

"Excuse me?" Logan growled lowly. 

"You heard." She hurled right back. "Women are more than baby making machines. We're capable of fighting equally good as men. The she-wolves in this pack deserve to be treated like equals. If they want to train, they will be allowed to. I will see to that change or I will reject you right here and now." 

Silence. 

For the first time in twenty three years, Caleb saw his older brother at loss of words. No one spoke to him like that (except for his siblings). Everyone respected, correction, feared him. Logan was the unapproachable, scary Alpha while Caleb was the one everyone turned to with personal problems. 

Sometimes he felt like the pack's HR while his brother was the Miranda Priestly. 

Finally, Logan came to. "Women can't do the man's job." His tone was steady, far calmer than it had been as if he was scared that anger would trigger the wild woman before him to actually spit out a rejection. Nothing stung worse than mate dismissing the bound. It could drive a wolf insane, specially if the wolf was powerful. Their wolf would lose its mind. 

"What if I prove you wrong?" Mariana's tone had changed as well. Rogue she might be, but the mention of rejection had struck them both. 

"How?" 

"Fight with me." 

Caleb's eyes bulged. I'll be damned, she's serious! His jaw nearly hit the floor.

"If I win, women earn rights to train. If I lose..." She hesitated. "If I lose, your rules stand." 

"I will hurt you." Logan stared down at her intensely. He did not want any harm upon his mate. "Besides, you're already injured." 

"Possibly. But I have handled worse." Mariana wasn't about to budge. "I have almost healed anyway. So, what is your answer?" 

"He'll do it!" Another female voice cut in. Gwen stood by the door, wide smile on her lips. Their sister hadn't smiled like that in a long time. She was growing distant with years, and Caleb was strung with worry. Last time her eyes twinkled with excitement like this was when they pulled the fart prank on Logan. (Didn't go well.)

The two brothers were the only family she had. They took the role of parents and siblings all in one, but it took far more to take care of a teenage girl than two grown men with inflated egos. There were many uncomfortable topics the two couldn't cover. Caleb had tried to give her "the talk", only to end up with a slipper thrown at his head. (Didn't go well either).

She needed a sister, and Mariana might be exactly that. 

"Were you eavesdropping?" Logan's tone basically said 'I raised you better than that'. 

"I did. And I totally agree with Mari. I want to train." Gwen insisted, stomping her foot as if that would change his mind. 

"I agree." Caleb finally spoke, disregarding his brother's glare. "If she wins, she proves point. Simple." 

Logan sighed, defeated. "Fine." He said through gritted teeth. "But," His gaze rested back on Mariana. 

"If I win, you won't ever bring this up again." Logan stepped closer, their chest nearly touching. "You will obey the rules I make, and will forget the idea of training." 

She didn't step away, instead getting right in his face. You could hang laundry on air with how thick it was with tension. 

"You're on." 

Caleb released a breath, leaning back into the couch. Well, this is either a brilliant or disastrous idea.