˗ˋ 30

CHAPTER THIRTY 

-: fifth year :-

── IN WHICH UMBRIDGE SPEAKS

. . .

Eyes were wide as Umbridge interrupted Dumbledore, that extremely annoying "Hem, hem" echoing in everyone's ears as she made her way to her feet. 

Aviana studied the teachers' reactions, knowing that if she spoke anymore than it would come out far louder than intended. Professor Sprout's eyebrows had disappearedinto her flyaway hair, and Professor McGonagall's mouth wasas thinner than anyone had ever seen it. Professor Snape wasn't one to show his emotions, but you could quite clearly see the surprise. 

No teacher, new or old, had ever interrupted Dumbledore. Even if you weren't the fondest of the old wizard, you didn't speak over him, didn't dare to break anything he was saying. 

"Thank you, Headmaster," Professor Umbridge simpered, "for those kind words of welcome." Her voice was of such a breathy, girly quality that it made Aviana want to scream. She had been tortured by it at her father's sentencing, and it made her skin crawl. 

"Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!" She smiled, revealing very pointed teeth. "And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!"

Aviana had no trouble tearing her eyes away from the woman, tightening her fists as she glanced at those around her. Even the most uptight of Slytherins had a look that seemed to be the opposite of what Umbridge was suggesting. 

"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all,and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!" Umbridge's voice was bright and cheery, and so fake. It was the exact same as it had been when she had addressed her at the trial, so incredibly condescending, as if she was talking to a load of little children rather than secondary school students.

"Are you okay, Avi?" Pansy was peering at her friend's face, Aviana's features creased with a mixture of emotions. 

I'm fine. I just don't want to sit listening to the ugly hag any longer." The Rosier girl grit her teeth, trying to keep her voice at a low level. "Draco why didn't you tell me it would be her. I could've been prepared then."

"I didn't expect you to have such a reaction. Your father did the crime, did he not? Umbridge was simply doing her job." Draco's voice was even, and Aviana could only shake her head in disappointment, looking away from him.

Neither of them had time to say anything else as once again Umbridge coughed, the girly "Hem, hem," somehow louder than the students. But when she continued, the girliness and the breathiness seemed to have worn off, she sounded much more business-like and actually like a grown adult woman, even if her height contested against that.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. There are gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to the Wizarding community must be passed down through the generations lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished, and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching." Umbridge paused, turning to the staff at the table and bowing at them, trying to garner some respect through acknowledging them. 

"What is she playing at?" Aviana mumbled to herself, not at all understanding the speech that Umbridge had clearly learnt off by heart, repeating it in an almost monotone voice. 

"Every headmaster and headmistress of Hogwarts has brought something new to the weighty task of governing this historic school, and that is as it should be, for without progress there will be stagnation and decay. There again, progress for progress's sake must be discouraged, for our tried and tested traditions often require no tinkering. A balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation..." Umbridge continued, and Aviana could only frown as she spoke. 

Her attention was wavering, and she found her eyes flicking across the hall, trying to find something more interesting to observe than the woman. It was clearly not only her who had lost interest, several people yawning and initiating conversations. 

Rather forcefully, she returned to watch Umbridge, fingernails pushing into her skin - enough to draw blood. 

"... because some changes will be for the better, while others will come, in the fullness of time, to be recognized as errors of judgment. Meanwhile, some old habits will be retained, and rightly so, whereas others, outmoded and outworn, must be abandoned. Let us move forward, then, into a new era of openness, effectiveness, and accountability, intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited." Umbridge finally sat down, and a spattering of applause could be heard.

An eruption of conversation could be heard as the woman stopped speaking, Dumbledore rising once again to talk of the Quidditch tryouts. But Aviana couldn't even focus on that, practically seething at the idea being taught by that woman.

She didn't even dare to think about what Umbridge had said, and just how the Ministry were planning to chance. Aviana was dreading Defense Against the Dark Arts, sitting so plainly in front of the woman instead of being lost in the crowd of Slytherins.

They had no idea what was coming for them later in the year.