Chapter 1: Act 1 - Prologue

"Inherited Will, The Destiny of the Age, and The Dreams of the People. As long as people continue to pursue the meaning of Freedom, these things will never cease to be!" - Gol D. Roger"

― Eiichiro Oda

...

Disclaimer: I do not own One Piece or any of its characters except for the OCs.

x.x

Chapter 1: Fated Meeting

~Somewhere~

A young boy yawned as he woke up from his 'nap'. He quite easily loses track of time given how much he loves sleeping. He got off his bed and hobbled a bit as the room seemingly jerked around, intending on making the boy fall. The boy looked around to find that he was now alone which brought a little frown on his face. It was always like this!

He quickly got up and walked out of the room and up the stairs, intending on getting some fresh air and finding 'his' whereabouts. The moment he was out in the open, the color hit him with the full force of a sledgehammer as his eyes immediately glued onto the vast expanse of blue all around him. The sound of men grunting and shouts were nothing but background noise to him as he gazed at nothing yet everything. The fresh breeze against his face and the sound of the waves reverberated through his ears, adding to this surreal experience.

The sea opened its arms to him as though a lover welcoming his/her companion who had been gone for long. It pulled him into its depths to explore the unknown, to explore places no one had ever been to. It promised to give him more than it took as long as it was treated right. The freedom, to be anything, to do anything. This freedom to be away from everything.... only to be interrupted from his thoughts as a fist came crashing down on his head.

*BAM*

The boy cried out in anger as he whirled around and glared at the person who dared to interrupt his thoughts.

"What are you glaring at, boy?" the man asked whilst he looked at the boy menacingly. The boy, to his credit, didn't flinch or back down and instead reciprocated with a glare of his own.

"What's your problem, ossan?"

"Damn brat, I should teach you some manners on how to talk to your elders," the man replied as he smashed the boy's head yet again making him hold onto it in pain.

The boy didn't want to admit it but the man's strikes hurt a lot and he could take only so many at a go. So he settled on glaring daggers at the man who ignored the little boy and looked at the other people on the ship with a hint of pride.

"Look at these people Luffy. Doesn't it make you want to join the marines to explore the seas and bring people to justice? Live the life of righteousness?" Garp asked as he stared ahead in a rare display of seriousness from his usual laid-back attitude.

"But all they do is follow orders," Luffy said with a little distaste in his words, making Garp frown. The vice-admiral turned towards his grandson and looked him in the eye.

"This world is filled with pirates who take advantage of the weak. They loot, they murder, and cause mayhem everywhere they go. It is our job to right this wrong and to bring them all to justice. Justice requires a strong moral compass which builds from having a strong character. A strong character comes from a strong routine and habits. Finally, strong habits can be built with proper guidance which we give. That is how everyone is trained."

Luffy just stared blankly at his grandfather apparently zoned out as he lost interest in the conversation, making Garp's eyebrows twitch. The marine just bonked the younger boy on his head, getting his attention.