Chapter 10; The Prophecy

A crowd of Pokémon was beginning to gather at the opposite edge of the clearing, and their excited whispers only made Melody more nervous.

"Are we all in agreement that this young girl is the Seer?" the Umbreon asked, glancing at his companions. All seven of them nodded solemnly.

"Then let the interrogation begin," he declared.

The Flareon trotted to Melody's side immediately.

She spat a small spark onto a flower near her paw and watched it burst into flames. "What is your name, child?" she growled viciously.

Melody trembled under the fierce glare of eight determined Pokémon.

"I'll tell you my name if you tell me yours," Melody retorted bravely.

The Flareon looked surprised. She turned to the Umbreon for an order.

The Umbreon gave a quick nod of approval.

"My name... Is Adela," she announced.

Melody smiled and whispered, "I think that's a beautiful name. My name is Melody."

Adela felt a warm tingly feeling inside her. She thought excitedly, Melody likes my name!

Adela shook herself and wondered what had come over her. "Yes, 'kay... Ummm..."

The Flareon cleared her throat and put on a serious face again, then hissed, "How can you see us, Melody?"

She put a menacing emphasis on Melody's name. She tried to look tough, but her eyes weren't as hard and cruel as they were before.

"I don't know. I only discovered this yesterday," Melody answered, calmer now that she saw the kinder side of her interrogator. She was being entirely honest, but her audience looked skeptical. Adela clearly believed her.

The Umbreon gave a little growl of exasperation. "Adela, return to your pedestal. Gracie, you're up."

The Glaceon slid off her stone gracefully and spun into the air, as light as a feather. She landed on all four feet before Melody and swept one of her delicate, diamond shaped cap-endings away from her eyes. The ground beneath her paws became adorned with frost.

"Gracie. What a pretty-" Melody was quickly cut off by the elegant frost Pokémon.

Gracie pressed her paw to Melody's mouth gently. "Flattery does not work on me."

She returned it to the ground and sat, her tail curled around her. She lifted the paw once more to give it a lick before continuing. "Why were you found wandering about in OUR woods?"

"I wasn't aware these woods belonged to anyone," Melody snapped.

Gracie looked a bit taken aback. "You dare stand up to ME?"

Melody smirked and pulled the Glaceon closer to her through the holes in the net. "Why shouldn't I?"

Gracie shook Melody off of herself and tried to act indignant, but she couldn't hide how impressed she was.

The Umbreon bared his teeth and sent Gracie back to her rock. "Leila, it's your turn."

The Leafeon slunk over to Melody, ears down. Her eyes flitted about nervously. Leila closed her eyes, taking a deep breath, and when she opened them she began to glow an iridescent pink and Melody suddenly found her to be the most beautiful, stunning creature she had ever seen. She wanted to tell her everything. Leila purred silkily, "Who is the other child?"

Melody smiled and answered her dreamily. "Jake..."

Leila circled Melody, her tail brushing against the girl softly. "Very nice. Why is he here?"

"H-He's followed me," Melody stuttered. She shook her head, hoping to rid herself of the woozy feeling.

"Yes, yes. And why are YOU here?" Leila asked, smiling warmly at Melody.

Melody gritted her teeth and fought back the feeling. She broke out of her trance and Leila blinked, noticing the pink glow around her soft, creamy fur had vanished.

The Leafeon cried out in surprise. "What have you done?"

The Umbreon tried to remain calm as he ordered Leila back to her pedestal. "Grrrrrr... Jackson, you're next.

The Jolteon bounded over with mischievous look.

"Tell me why you came here or else," he said simply.

"I don't think so," Melody replied.

Jackson opened his mouth and sent out a small stream of electricity, shocking her painfully. Melody closed her eyes tight and refused to relent.

Before the yellow Pokémon could shock Melody again, Adela jumped in front of her and yelped, "Enough! Do not harm the Seer!"

The Umbreon reluctantly sent Jackson back to his pedestal, and Adela returned to her own.

"Go ahead, Caroline," the dark Pokémon muttered.

Melody watched bitterly as the Vaporeon padded over. The audience was growing restless.

Caroline sat before Melody and inspected her silently. "Why don't you want to tell us why you came here?"

Melody thought about that question for a minute. "Because I don't have the answer. I just... Came. I was drawn here by some unseen force."

The Vaporeon nodded in understanding. "I think that's a good enough answer for me."

She headed back to her pedestal without another word, without waiting for an order from the Umbreon.

The Umbreon turned to the Espeon. "Mimi?"

Mimi nodded. She walked upon the air until she reached Melody. And then the small, red orb on her forehead started to glow. Melody felt odd, as if the light purple Pokémon were looking through her mind, opening folders and browsing the files.

"Stop it," Melody moaned, holding her head in her hands. Adela could not protect her from this. Finally she cried out and began to shine, a soft yellow glow surrounding her.

The Espeon stepped back in horror, her orb no longer glowing.

The Umbreon leapt from his pedestal to knock her out of the way. "Mimi!"

And that's when all hell broke lose.