Putting a name to a face

Start from the beginning

Ron rolled his eyes. "Anyway, they mentioned his name and Colin said, 'Did you say his name was Mouldywarts? Why would anyone name their kid that?'"

The five kids looked at each other and burst out laughing.

"Mouldywarts!" Neville giggled. "That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!"

Hermione also giggled, then eventually got out, "What if, what if we tried to come up with the funniest names for good ole Voldy? Help bring down the fear factor around his name?"

Draco laughed out loud. "I just realized that his name is French for 'Flees from Death.' Fitting, for someone who either can't or won't die."

The group laughed for a little longer before saying goodbye and going to their Common Rooms. Harry and Draco had to practically run, because while the Prefects usually took a longer route, they had been laughing for longer than they had planned. They made it back to the Common Room just minutes before the first years did, and were sitting calmly on one of the couches waiting for Professor Snape's annual greeting.

The next morning came too early for Harry, who had become used to the later mornings during the summer. He groaned and would have fallen back asleep, except Draco threw a pillow at him, and, well, that couldn't be allowed. A short time later, Harry had buried Draco under an impressive amount of pillows, then sat on top of them with a smirk.

"Pottington!" Draco yelled from under the pile, kicking out and trying to shove Harry off him. Harry just laughed, but got up quickly, knowing that Draco needed quite a bit of time in front of the mirror in the morning to be ready. Draco stood up with a pout and his hair a mess. Draco frantically tried to make his hair less messy and Harry felt a strange sensation in his stomach.

"Hurry upppp, Draco, I'm hungy!"

"It's your fault for burying me in pillows!"

"You started it by throwing a pillow at me!"

"You were taking too long to wake up! I already was ready, and now I have to fix my hair because of you!"

Harry grinned. "If you take much longer, I'm gonna drag you out whether you think you're presentable or not, you prat!"

"You wouldn't dare!" Draco luckily appeared then, looking as put together as he always did. "Come on, Harry, honestly, it's like one of us takes forever in the mornings."

Harry gaped at Draco's back, and the only thing stopping him from tackling him was his hunger.

Breakfast passed quickly, and unfortunately, their first class was DADA with Lockhart. The blond man gave them all a rather long piece of parchment with several questions written on it.

"Just a little test to see how well you read the textbooks for term! Go on, then, shouldn't take you too long if you've read them!"

Harry looked at the first question and snorted. There was no way he was answering these correctly. Ever. The first question read 'What is Gilderoy Lockhart's favorite color?' This was followed by questions like, 'How many times has Gilderoy Lockhart won Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile Award?', 'What is Gilderoy Lockhart's secret ambition?' and generally absolutely nothing about any sort of Defense against anything, except perhaps, the professor himself.

Harry smirked as he handed in the test. He had purposefully answered them with horrible answers, like 'puke green' for the favorite color question, 'you were a runner up twenty times but never received it' for the Witch Weekly question, and said that Lockhart's secret ambition was 'to be the worlds most egotistical disappointment'.

Lockhart looked through the quizzes as he picked them up, then seemed to wilt a little. "Only a few of you knew that my favorite color was lilac, and that I had the Most Charming Smile award five times. Not to mention that my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and release my own hair care potion!"

Harry snorted and muttered under his breath, "Is it really a secret ambition if everybody knows about it?" Draco barely held in a snort next to him.

Lockhart went to the front of the room, where a cloth covered something sat on the desk. "Now, we will have a practical. Fear not, for while these creatures are frightening, I am here!" With that, Lockhart ripped the cloth off with a flourish, revealing-

"Cornish pixies?" Ron asked from a few desks over. "They're not all that dangerous."

"Ah but they do cause chaos!" And with that statement, Lockhart opened the cage. The pixies flew out of the cage and began throwing things, hanging people from the chandelier, and generally making a nuisance of themselves. "It's not too difficult to take care of them! Come now, try with me! Peskipiksi Peskernomi!" Nothing happened, and one of the pixies flew up and threw his wand out the window. Lockhart squeaked and ducked towards his office. "Well, uh, good luck then! I'll be right here if you need assistance!" and disappeared through the door.

Harry sighed. "Sorry about this, everyone," he called. "Immobulus Maxima!" Everything froze, except for him. He grabbed the cage off Lockhart's desk and swung it through the air, catching the pixies in it. After he got all of them and locked the cage, he muttered, "Finite Incantatum." Time continued.

Draco glared lightly at Harry. "Next time warn me if you're going to freeze me."

"I did. I said, 'Sorry about this, everyone.' I don't know what you were expecting."

"I wasn't expecting you to freeze me in place just to get a bunch of pixies."

"Yeah, well, now Lockhart's disappeared, and we have half an hour left of class, so, free time I guess," Ron said, breaking into the conversation. The students dispersed, leaving the three friends walking together.

"How about that quiz? It was the stupidest thing I've ever seen," Draco said.

"I purposefully put wrong answers," Harry admitted. "I didn't read the books in any case, but this is Defense class, not Meet Lockhart class."

"What did you put for the secret ambition question?" Ron asked. "I said, 'be mistaken for someone who matters.'"

Draco snorted.

"I put 'to be the world's most egotistical disappointment'," Harry said.

Draco snorted again. "I put 'marry a rich woman and be her personal centerfold until she dies under mysterious circumstances leaving you as her sole benefactor'."

Harry laughed. "Draco! That's horrible! How could you sentence any woman to a life sentence with that thing?"

They all laughed as they walked. Suddenly Harry froze. There was a voice coming from the walls!

"Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Draco asked.

"A voice, from the walls. It sounded... dangerous."

He heard it again. "Rip, tear, let me eat you."

"You guys can't hear that?"

It was Ron who broke the silence this time. "Harry, what are you talking about?"