Chapter 5: My Progress. (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

Ronalt forced himself to stand taller, "It is exactly because of her that we must be careful. We can't have her fraternising with the wrong people."

"Rain was chosen by the Queen. The least you could do is trust in her choice."

I was surprised. I didn't know that it was the Queen who had chosen me. There would have been hundreds of candidates. Now I wasn't sure whether to feel honoured or curse my luck.

"Fine," Ronalt said as if cursing. He faced me again, "You'd still do well to heed my words." Defeated he huffed and moped away. I stood still not sure if I should go back to cleaning or not.

Ardent watched him leave then sighed, "Please don't hold this against him Rain. Ronalt is a good man but he holds the weight of the Kingdom on his shoulders."

I laughed dryly, "It's okay. He was right, ordinarily by my position I shouldn't even be talking to you now."

Ardent scratched his chin, "Perhaps, but I much prefer this. Do you need help cleaning up?"

"No!" I quickly refused him. For one point I actually enjoyed cleaning but more so I could still see Ronalt sending the occasional glare our way. "I'm fine on my own. It is my job after all."

"Well let me keep you company then," he pulled up a chair and sat close by. What followed was an awkward silence as I continued to do my work by the carriage. The Hero and the others were by the fire peacefully spending their time. Ardent remained where he was reading and seemingly perfectly fine to stay the way he was.

Eventually just as I was finishing my work my curiosity got the better of me,

"Why are you so nice to me?" I asked suddenly.

Ardent smiled and placed his book on his lap, "What ever do you mean?"

"I'm a commoner with no titles or deeds. Sure I can be pretty handy but from my experience that just leads to being ordered around by people like you." I paused before adding, "Not that I mean you specifically."

After staring at me he just laughed, "I used to be like those people you just mentioned. Though the Magicians Guild says they hold talent and ability as a person's greatest worth, the true story can be quite different. Yes I'm a noble, born and raised as the second son and I had servants at my beck and call but even with all that, when I entered the Guild was I the best student? No. That right belonged to a person like you Rain."

"I'm guessing you were friends?"

"Opposite actually," he smiled as if reminiscing. "By the Goddess I hated him. I was always second best to him but he earned my respect. If it weren't for him I'd never have taken the time to better myself to what I am today."

"So you were rivals?"

"For a time yes," his expression became sombre. "The true error of my ways came to me when he died, or really, was murdered."

"What, how?" I blinked several times not sure if I heard him right.

"There were several people of noble birth in the class and one in particular disliked him even more than I. By his words, for a commoner to be better than us was as if the world had become rotten. In our second year he framed him for the assault against a prominent noble in the Empire. Throw in some half-baked evidence and with no defence I was forced to watch him hung."

I grit my teeth, "That's...." I had heard stories of just how the Empire's nobles could be. Compared to the Empire the Kingdom was a paradise.

"Before we could even become friends he died, it truly was a shame. My eyes however were opened more than they ever were." Ardent looked at me intently, "Does that answer your question?"

"Yeah, sorry I shouldn't have asked." My opinion of Ardent had always been better than the others but now it rose to an all new high.

"Questions are always welcome Rain. Besides," he flashed an almost evil grin, "I had my vengeance."

"Go on...." I was afraid to ask but yet again my curiosity got the better of me.

Ardent happily continued, "In our fourth year, I and the noble in question were in standing to become one of the Archmage's apprentices. To settle it we were told to show our talents in battle against each other. Before the battle however the fool drugged my water with the moon flower's poison."

"Mana flux poisoning," I frowned. It was a poison that made the drinker lose control of their mana. On a normal person it would make them nauseous but on a magician it made it incredibly difficult for them to cast magic.

"Exactly," Ardent nodded. "During the fight I 'lost' control and killed him."

"So it was his own fault," I stated.

Once more Ardent let out a cunning smile, "On the contrary Rain, I knew that water was poisoned. I took it on purpose. Most magicians would under compensate, I however went the opposite. If the fool had set a proper defence he would have lived but he was too confident, and that led to his demise."

As morbid as it was, I was impressed, "Vengeance and an excuse." It was clear Ardent was a Master Wizard for a reason.

"Well I was almost kicked out but after some investigation the noble's other misdemeanours came to light." He smiled wryly, "As much as I dislike to admit it, it was only due my own standing as a noble that I came out unscathed."

"Remind me not to get on your bad side," I laughed jokingly but there was a strain in my throat.

"Is there anything else you'd like to ask?"

I shook my head, "Not now. I have more work to finish up."

"Of course," he smiled softly. "Well it is late and I must do my own preparation."

He stood up to leave. I watched him go, my chest tightened and before I knew it the words had already left my mouth, "Ardent, thank you."

"There is nothing to thank for Rain."