16) Supernatural

~Niall's POV~

I looked over at him with a blank stare. "What does that mean?"

"He's what you could call" He motioned with his hands, "a dopplegänger"

My eyes widened and I find myself speechless. A dopplegänger? I wanted to laugh but when his facial expression remained entirely serious, I stopped short.

"You're being serious?" I gulped.

His face paled and he nodded his head carefully.

How could any of this be possible? I thought to myself.

My vision goes out of focus, the house loses sight in front of me and soon my surroundings are spinning and everything goes black.

Ouch. My head hurts.

My shoulders shake and a much too loud voice screams in my ear, such an earsplitting sound that I can not make out what they are even saying. The inside of my ears ring and my head is pounding. My eyes shoot open and Harry's face comes into view, trying to make only one of him appear.

"Are you alright?" His eyes look swollen and red. What happened?

I try to speak but no words come out. I curl my fingers and feel the asphalt beneath me my nails scarping sending shivers up my spine, I must be on a sidewalk. It's dark out, the only source for light coming from the flickering streetlight several meters away. Cars pass by besides that, it is almost completely silent.

"Niall." He slaps my cheek softly, "you alright mate?" My vision returns with only subtle stars in the corner of my eyes. "You passed out in the car and I had to drag you out here."

The days events come flooding back, Candace, the news broadcast, Harry, the house, doppelganger. Doppelganger.

"Were you serious?" I ignore his explanation and attempt to squeeze out as much truth from him as possible.

"What do you mean?" He furrows his eyebrows in confusion.

I sit up. Too quickly and sway back and forth but Harry steadies me. "About the... thing."

He sort of smirks but returns to a dead neutral expression. "Doppelganger."

I bite the inside of my cheek and nod my head. "Yeah."

"Yeah... I was" He hesitates.

I am at a loss for words. What am I supposed to say to that? 'Oh cool!' 'Oh no!' there is just not an okay answer to hearing something like that. The house Harry and I parked out front of still stood there except there was a light on in the front room and there was the silhouette of a figure in the front room.

I manage to speak up, "H-Harry." I stare at the figure and Harry follows my gaze to the window and sucks in a breath. He takes my arm and slowly pulls me to my feet and stuffs me in the front seat before running around the front and hopping in the drivers seat. The keys were still in the ignition. He pressed on the gas and we sped away.

"We should never have come here." It's been ten minutes since anybody has said anything until Harry speaks. I don't speak, still processing everything that just occurred and the image of the person in the window still fresh in my mind crowds my brain. "He knows that I know now." He grips the steering wheel so tightly his knuckles turn white and my eyes watch them, unable to look at anything else.

The road stretches ahead of us and the moon trapped behind the thick dark clouds covering the night sky.

The drive back to my place takes way longer than I would have preferred, Harry and I did not speak after his comments and I didn't really know how to answer them anyway. I would rather try to ignore today's events.

We pull into my driveway and he flicks off the car and we sit there in silence for what feels like a century.

I allow myself to sigh and rest my head in my hands on my knees. What do I do?

"Don't worry about it, Niall. Okay?" He assures as if he read my mind. He twists in his seat to face me. The worried expression on his face shows just how serious he truly is.

"But, I feel like I need to do something." I say, my eyes squeezed shut. The many thoughts in my mind right now overwhelms me and I still haven't spoken to Candace.

I basically dragged my feet up the walkway unlocking the front door then gripped the handle and sucked in a breath before slowing turning it and stepping inside.

It was quiet.

I took a few more steps and could hear the small sound of the t.v. from the living room and tiptoed towards the sound.

Candace was fast asleep sitting up, her head tilted to the side with her mouth slightly agape and I felt my heart fluttering at the sight of her peaceful state.

I grabbed the remote from next to her and flicked it off.

She shuffled in her sleep and mumbled incoherent noises and I didn't move until her breathing pattern slowed. I gathered her in my arms, resting her head on my shoulder and carried her up the stairs to bed. Her arms snaked around me, gripping me tightly and I sucked in a breath. I didn't want her to wake up, it would be awkward to explain my actions when the last time we saw each other, we were screaming in each other's faces. The stairs squeaked beneath my feet and took cautious steps with every stair I climbed.

I laid her down gently in the bed after pulling the covers away and tucked her in. She shifted about and got comfortable, clutching a pillow tightly to her chest. I swept the hair out of her face and pecked her cheek gently.

Everything seemed so much louder when the house was quiet and made every creak and sound seem eerie. I tried my best to keep my actions quiet in an attempt to not wake Candace up and made sure the tap made minimal noise when I poured the water into my cup. After I had gulped down my second cup of water, I settled onto the couch and snuggled into a blanket from the hall closet and tried my best to fall asleep.

3:03am.

I fell back onto the sofa and sighed deeply. With so many thoughts running through my mind made it difficult to fall asleep with such unsettling events going on currently. Was Harry okay? What do we do about this 'dopplegänger'? Was I supposed to just leave it alone?